Ground wire question

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 12:58 pm
Hi I am replacing a std. switch with a dimming switch. It is mounted with another switch in the box. The fixture the other switch controls is shared by another switch across the room. When I went to replace the std switch with the dimmer switch I see that the existing house ground wire is attached to the ground screw on the other switch and it just loops around the ground screw on the switch that I need to replace. The dimmer does not have a ground screw it has the ground wire which is incorporated with the switch. My question is how to I now utilize the ground for this switch? can I just wrap it around the ground wire that is attached to the other switch?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 187 • Replies: 1
No top replies

livinglava

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 03:04 pm
@gporpora,
gporpora wrote:

Hi I am replacing a std. switch with a dimming switch. It is mounted with another switch in the box. The fixture the other switch controls is shared by another switch across the room. When I went to replace the std switch with the dimmer switch I see that the existing house ground wire is attached to the ground screw on the other switch and it just loops around the ground screw on the switch that I need to replace. The dimmer does not have a ground screw it has the ground wire which is incorporated with the switch. My question is how to I now utilize the ground for this switch? can I just wrap it around the ground wire that is attached to the other switch?

Why are you installing a dimmer? Does it work with modern, low-energy bulbs like CFL's and LEDs or only with incandescents?

I don't know if you can get electrical advice here without causing legal problems for someone somewhere.

I can only tell you that hardware stores sell plastic connectors that you feed two stripped wires into either side and tighten them down with screws, so if you need to connect two loose wire ends, you could do it that way.

Probably most people will just tell you that if you don't know the code requirements for whatever you're doing, you should contact a licensed electrician, but if you don't want to spend the money, I'm sure you could find a book at the hardware store that explains the proper way to do it.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Ground wire question
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 06:44:05