Question about Wi-FI

Pmm

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2020 04:06 pm
Okay. So I have a rather weird issue that has been going on for months and I'm pretty sure my internet service provider is useless in regards to helping with this issue considering I've called them multiple times and had them check the lines and replace my modem repeatedly. The same issue persists.

Every so often, and quite randomly and out of the blue it seems, my Wi-Fi connection for every single device in my household will be dropped. The catch is, the wired connections will be perfectly fine and dandy. Now according to the technician that came to my house, the problem is most likely due to having too many devices hooked up to a single modem and therefore not enough bandwidth to go around. What I want to know, is this true and is there anything that I can do about it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 310 • Replies: 4
No top replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2020 04:17 pm
@Pmm,
I am a software engineer, not a hardware expert (and I count the wifi router as hardware), but...

I don't buy that explanation at all. Most routers should handle hundreds of connections. The symptom of having too many is simply very slow internet service, not dropped connections and the idea that all of the connections dropping at once because of low bandwidth sounds ridiculous. I think their explanation is nonsense.

It sounds to me like there is a problem with the router. The ISP should provide you with a new one (if it is there).

By the way, you can buy your own router. Many times this will even save you money over the long term.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2020 05:34 am
@Pmm,
What's the Wi-Fi like in your area? It may be a local problem and that can only be solved by having new cabling installed or moving.

0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2020 06:59 am
@Pmm,
Old WiFi routers have a limited number of connections and do not do a good job of clearing them out when they go inactive so they fill up and need to be rebooted periodically. Some even have a setting that will reboot them every day at a certain time. Newer routers are a lot better at this.
0 Replies

seac

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2020 11:51 pm
@Pmm,
Internet disconnect happens to me during some days, so I am thinking it has to do with heavy internet traffic. At night there are no problems. My internet provider cannot check my connection or problems by phone line when this happens because I am not using the wifi modem (ADSL) they provided. I use a store bought wifi modem/router. Using the computers diagnostic helps in some cases, with the problem being solved by a reset of the adapter. I also have Netgear Genie which can help only so much when the internet keeps cutting out. It gets me back on only to have the connection cut out again.
Oh, and lately, when my internet connection cuts out, I noticed that somebody in the neighborhood has turned on their wifi printer, maybe it is interfering with my connection also. I do check to see the wifi activity in my neighborhood.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Question about Wi-FI
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/16/2024 at 11:02:36