7
   

Star Trek poll suggestion help. Please

 
 
Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2020 01:52 pm
I'm asking IMDb voters (if and when it gets published) what career path in the Star Trek's United Federation of Planets they would choose if they were given the option.

The Blue and Black uniform of the Medical or Science Staff.
The Gold and Black uniform of the Operations Department (security/tactical, engineering, communications, etc...).
The Red and Black uniform of the Command Department (including navigation/piloting positions).

The poll asks this question by choosing the particular specific Star Trek uniform (in this case Next Generation as opposed to the TOS/original Star Trek series).

Am I missing something? Do I need to clarify anything text wise? Option text wise? Should I add anymore images [uniform wise] for any missing departments not covered in these three options?

The IMDb list which the poll will be based on.
Choose Your Star Trek Career Path
The title is still open for changes/improvements.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 477 • Replies: 14
No top replies

 
Sturgis
 
  1  
Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2020 03:27 pm
@tsarstepan,
It seems to all be there.
0 Replies
 
engineer
 
  2  
Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2020 03:49 pm
@tsarstepan,
I think the career path is not as you place it here. Medical is its own path as you have stated. Command and Ops are actually the same path, unrestricted line officer. Helm and Communications are junior officer positions, Science and Engineering are more senior positions (department heads if you will), Captain is the top of the shipboard hierarchy. Anyone in the line officer path could be elevated to captain later in their careers and likely officers would rotate positions for experience. An officer would not keep the relatively junior position of helmsman his entire career if he aspired to command.
0 Replies
 
izzythepush
 
  1  
Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2020 08:06 am
@tsarstepan,
Is all the cooking done by computers? I know Picard always gets hot Earl Grey from his machine. This seems problematic when there's a diplomatic mission, surely someone should be in charge of that.

Today's navy has cooks and stewards, and even though I've not seen any on Star Trek I find it hard to believe they'd disappear entirely.

You can ignore this post if you want. I won't be upset, honest.
jespah
 
  2  
Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2020 08:09 am
@izzythepush,
There was a chef on the NX-01 (the Enterprise series), and there are people cooking in at least one of the TOS films. Might be Undiscovered Country but I'm not sure.
tsarstepan
 
  1  
Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2020 08:18 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Is all the cooking done by computers? I know Picard always gets hot Earl Grey from his machine. This seems problematic when there's a diplomatic mission, surely someone should be in charge of that.

Officially? Yes. In several of the series, cooking is done by the replicators. But food is also portrayed as being handmade by Captain Sisko in Deep Space 9 (as well as there's a Klingon restaurant on the DS9 promenade). Captain Sisko tends to cook for himself and his friends and occasional dates he's trying to impress.

In Voyager, the most annoying character, Neelix, is the ship's cook. Though, he isn't a member of the Federation, just someone the crew picked up along the way while they tried to return back to the Alpha Quadrant.

Quote:
Today's navy has cooks and stewards, and even though I've not seen any on Star Trek I find it hard to believe they'd disappear entirely

Good point. I don't remember seeing a Federation chef or cook or kitchen staff. I wonder if they're considered obsolete and irrelevant (position-wise).

Quote:
You can ignore this post if you want. I won't be upset, honest.

I will not ignore it. Very Happy I like your contribution as it does bring up questions in this very little discussed area of the Star Trek universe. Donkey Shane Sir Izzy.
0 Replies
 
tsarstepan
 
  2  
Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2020 08:24 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

There was a chef on the NX-01 (the Enterprise series), and there are people cooking in at least one of the TOS films. Might be Undiscovered Country but I'm not sure.

I think I do remember some people in Enterprise often complaining about the meals (or often on the lack of variety in meals and spices).

For purposes of my poll? I moved the idea of Starfleet departments into the Next Generation era as there are many changes (departmentally speaking) between the Next Generation and TOS. I like that DS9, Next Generation and Voyager overlap in this area.

PS: I was hoping to hear from you Jespah. You're my only hope in keeping from making some terrible blunders on how to organize this whole poll suggestion. Do I need to revamp it and add the departments individually or by the color of the uniforms (as the list is written now)?
jespah
 
  1  
Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2020 08:49 am
@tsarstepan,
I think I would add the individual departments, just so people don't wonder why the only scientific career path you're showing is medicine (for example). And sheesh, I totally forgot about Neelix on VOY (I've been trying to...).
izzythepush
 
  1  
Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2020 10:39 am
@jespah,
I remember Neelix, but I didn't count him because I thought it was in extremis.

I remember a Next Generation episode where Deanna talks about, and eats some alien chocolate, can't remember the exact name, but it was definitely something chocolate.
tsarstepan
 
  1  
Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2020 10:44 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I remember Neelix, but I didn't count him because I thought it was in extremis.

I remember a Next Generation episode where Deanna talks about, and eats some alien chocolate, can't remember the exact name, but it was definitely something chocolate.

Chocolate comes up in DS9. The expatriate Cardassian tailor, Garak, talks about enjoying a particularly rare and expensive kind as well.
tsarstepan
 
  1  
Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2020 10:48 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

I think I would add the individual departments, just so people don't wonder why the only scientific career path you're showing is medicine (for example). And sheesh, I totally forgot about Neelix on VOY (I've been trying to...).

That shouldn't be difficult to figure. I might throw in a DS9 character with their respective uniform (to fill this part out).

How do you think I should handle the command side and pilot/helms of things as mentioned by engineer? This is pretty complicated to put together via my existing simplified list.
engineer wrote:

I think the career path is not as you place it here. Medical is its own path as you have stated. Command and Ops are actually the same path, unrestricted line officer. Helm and Communications are junior officer positions, Science and Engineering are more senior positions (department heads if you will), Captain is the top of the shipboard hierarchy. Anyone in the line officer path could be elevated to captain later in their careers and likely officers would rotate positions for experience. An officer would not keep the relatively junior position of helmsman his entire career if he aspired to command.

jespah
 
  2  
Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2020 05:18 am
@tsarstepan,
How about 2 images per color? Say, from different series, showing different functions
0 Replies
 
izzythepush
 
  1  
Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2020 05:57 am
@tsarstepan,
I didn't watch DS9. I saw a couple of episodes but couldn't get into it.
McGentrix
 
  2  
Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2020 10:03 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I didn't watch DS9. I saw a couple of episodes but couldn't get into it.


The first two seasons were slow, but it picks up at season 3 and gets really good from there. Was my favorite of the Star Trek series. I even watch it on BBC America when I am flipping channels.
maxdancona
 
  2  
Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2020 10:39 am
@McGentrix,
DS9 was my favorite too.

I like the fact that in the DS9 there was moral ambiguity that didn't exist in the other shows. In other Star Trek there was always a clear simplistic line between good and evil. In DS9 you had former terrorists and their oppressive overlords, it wasn't always clear who was right.
0 Replies
 
 

 
  1. Forums
  2. » Star Trek poll suggestion help. Please
Copyright © 2022 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 07/04/2022 at 06:55:49