Got Anything Special Planned For Burns Night?

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2020 08:36 am
Saturday Night is Burns Night when the Scots celebrate their national poet and eat mashed potato and swede with boiled sheep's intestines.

No wonder they drink so much scotch.

Address to a Haggis

by Robert Burns

Fair fa’ your honest, sonsie face,
Great Chieftain o’ the Puddin-race!
Aboon them a’ ye tak your place,
Painch, tripe, or thairm:
Weel are ye wordy of a grace
As lang ‘s my arm.

The groaning trencher there ye fill,
Your hurdies like a distant hill,
Your pin wad help to mend a mill
In time o’ need,
While thro’ your pores the dews distil
Like amber bead.

His knife see Rustic-labour dight,
An’ cut ye up wi’ ready slight,
Trenching your gushing entrails bright,
Like onie ditch;
And then, O what a glorious sight,
Warm-reekin, rich!

Then, horn for horn, they stretch an’ strive:
Deil tak the hindmost, on they drive,
Till a’ their weel-swall’d kytes belyve
Are bent like drums;
Then auld Guidman, maist like to rive,
Bethankit hums.

Is there that owre his French ragout,
Or olio that wad staw a sow,
Or fricassee wad mak her spew
Wi’ perfect sconner,
Looks down wi’ sneering, scornfu’ view
On sic a dinner?

Poor devil! see him owre his trash,
As feckless as a wither’d rash,
His spindle shank a guid whip-lash,
His nieve a nit;
Thro’ bluidy flood or field to dash,
O how unfit!

But mark the Rustic, haggis-fed,
The trembling earth resounds his tread,
Clap in his walie nieve a blade,
He’ll make it whissle;
An’ legs, an’ arms, an’ heads will sned,
Like taps o’ thrissle.

Ye Pow’rs wha mak mankind your care,
And dish them out their bill o’ fare,
Auld Scotland wants nae skinking ware
That jaups in luggies;
But, if ye wish her gratefu’ prayer,
Gie her a Haggis!

https://www.officeholidays.com/images/935x475c/scotland-burns-night-01.jpg

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,233 • Replies: 14
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2020 08:50 am
Here is a link to Burns translated
http://www.thehypertexts.com/Robert%20Burns%20Translations%20Modern%20English.htm
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2020 09:59 am
@izzythepush,
Had to work with a bunch a scot ground water scientists at a project in Ireland where some race horse farms waters were being contaminated by some old tin mines. The scots came in groups of four and NOBODY could understand a fuckin word they were saying. We had em clutch among themselves and have a translator transcribe what the hell they said.

I learnt a bit of Mandarin an, whatefer the dialect they spoke in Taiwan bfore I could understand anything that Scotsmen are saying.

PS: Haggis wasnt too bad. I recall they ahd OATS in there and onion , finelly chopped. It was often served with like a Tika Masala sauce and then you could enjoy it without being reminded that youre eating OFFALL (just like sausages)
izzythepush

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2020 10:28 am
@farmerman,
When I lived in Newcastle you could get haggis and chips at the chip shop. It was very much like sausage.

I went to my local butchers to get some chipolatas and there was an old couple buying a haggis for Burns Night. One of their friends couldn't eat it though and they needed some sausages for him. Took them the best part of ten minutes of dithering before they finally opted for pork and leek.

Kevin Bridges on being translated into English.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2020 10:34 am
Latin Americans are fond of menudo, usually as a soup. In fact, Ricky Martin, the heart throb of all young Latinas, started out as a member of the Puerto Rican boy band called Menudo. It must originally have been Spanish, because the Filipinos love it, too.
Linkat

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2020 10:46 am
@izzythepush,
My fond memory of haggis was on a visit to Edinburgh when I was in my 20s. We were talking to a young local man who was trying to persuade us to try their local delicacy --- haggis. Now I have heard of haggis and generally knew what is was - but not the true ingredients.

I told him the pictures of haggis do not look so appetizing. Where he went on to describe how they were made - and upon hearing that he saw the look of disgust on our faces. He then went on to say --- they are quite savory --- REALLY.

We didn't believe him and decided to abstain from this savory dish.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2020 11:13 am
@Linkat,
I used to work with a Scottish lad. One day one of our colleagues, a Sikh lady, asked him about haggis. He went into lurid detail about all the offal but ended the list with oats.

That's all she picked up on and replied. "So it's quite healthy then."

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2020 11:42 am
@Setanta,
An ex sister in law from Mexico originally used to fill a huge pot with menudo ingredients every week or so. After it was cooked her family would steadily work on it all day long until it was gone. All I could think was, "Urk."
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2020 12:04 pm
Well, as ya most surely know, the best laid schemes o' mice an' men, gang aft a-gley* aye, such were the case with me as ill i felt when seeing a haggis meal being prepared! Not even a case of Drambuie would o' calmed me a-quivering gullet!***

Besides, I don't care much for the standard attire (kilts and painful looking shoes with absurdly long laces). One article I read advised men to wear 'smart' trousers. Checking my clothing stock, I found none of mine had been formally educated!

Guess I'll just cook up a bowl of oatmeal with milk, molasses and try to decipher some of Mr.Burns' poems.

*from To A Mouse by Robert Burns

***apologies for my dreadful alleged Scottish accent (it's been more than a century since one of my great grandparents left Scotland for the U.S.)
izzythepush

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2020 12:44 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

***apologies for my dreadful alleged Scottish accent (it's been more than a century since one of my great grandparents left Scotland for the U.S.)

Don't worry about it Middenface McNulty's ancestors left Earth for Och 1 Centuries ago, (or should that be in a few centuries time,) and he's still very raw.

http://www.warlordgames.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/darkus-2.jpg

And the Royals are just as bad.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-O90F_8wWjVE/WGesyAt8joI/AAAAAAAADC0/DOnE1FRm2YUJX5C7KoW7MdEPU08A_0ZzQCEw/s1600/Xmas%2B7.jpg
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2020 06:13 am
I'm sorry that I was unable to find any more. When I was a kid I enjoyed the different varieties of wild mchaggises that appeared on the McTickles pages.

Quote:
The McTickles was a British gag-a-day comic strip in the British comic book magazine The Beano. It was drawn by Vic Neill and ran from 1971 to 1974.

Chief Jock and his highland clan fought a comic war of attrition against their rivals the McNasties, while avoiding the pranks played on them by the “McHaggises”, small round animals, with a similar shape to a haggis with long noses and thistles for ears. Some McHaggises had different lengthened legs on opposite sides of their bodies, allowing them to remain horizontal while walking around the sides of mountains. The many types of ‘McHaggises’ consisted of Spiky Hedgehoggis, Fiery McHaggis, Roller McHaggis etc. (This is in fact a common joke used by Scottish people when “explaining” the haggis to uninitiated visitors.)

https://britishcomicscompilations.wordpress.com/2017/12/27/mctickles/
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2020 09:06 am
A link to visit Scotland's page on Burns Night.

https://www.visitscotland.com/about/famous-scots/robert-burns/burns-night/

If I remember right haggis is still banned over there because it contains sheep's lung.

You must be well jealous.
InfraBlue

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2020 05:50 pm
@Setanta,
Mexicans are fond of menudo. It's a Mexican tripe soup dish. Other Latin Americans don't usually eat it unless they've been introduced to it, and wouldn't know it by the name, which, in Mexico, has the specific meaning for the soup. Menudo is Spanish for "small," "thin," "slight," "diminutive," "elfish," "impish" as it was used in the name of the boy band. Filipinos have a tripe soup dish called Callos, but it's closer to the Spanish recipes than the Mexican ones.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2020 06:24 pm
@izzythepush,
Suffer, aye, I shall be a-doin' then.
(not too likely as the idea of eating something cooked up in a sheep stomach doesn't exactly entice me)

Unless deep fried haggis becomes available, I'll manage without and stick with basic foods...

Tongue (beef) anyone? Now that is something I can sink my teeth into!

Truth be told, I am not too fond of the taste of lamb. Made things tough growing up as the rest of my family loved it. (apparently my DNA from
Scotland must have been removed)

Anyways, enjoy Burns Night!
izzythepush

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2020 04:25 am
@Sturgis,
Deep fried haggis, (and mars bars) are available. It's Scotland, deep fried is never a problem there, but salad, that's something else.

Like you I don't like lamb. I've not had haggis for a very long time. It's like a disappointing sausage, you've not missed anything.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Got Anything Special Planned For Burns Night?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 12:24:17