Should I be angry, concerned or neither if bf did not tell me he brought a gun to my house?

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2020 02:05 pm

My bf and I have been together about 5 months and during that time, he has told me he has a gun collection and in the past has done some shooting (for sport of course). Recently, he asked how I felt about is he brought one of his guns to my home when he stays here for protection (I do live in a rural area and there is little if any security). Before I could give an answer he looked up to see if he gun carrying license was legit in my state and it was not he said. So I really never said yes or no. Truthfully, if he tells me the truth and leaves it really secure I don't mind it since I have no children or others in my home.

when he was leaving yesterday and getting his stuff together he inadvertently opened a bag and it was the gun with some ammo and he said to me "I shouldn't have lied to you". Not, I never asked if he had a gun and he never offered that info but thus far, I have found him to be very honest and open.

What is the right thing to do? For example, should I say something or not and if so, what?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 282 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2020 02:18 pm
@highanxiety789,
You must discuss this with him. Since it is illegal for him to have the gun in your state, he is risking an arrest if at some time he is stopped for a driving violation (or a number of other scenarios). Depending upon state and/or local laws, you might be arrested as well. (Similar to the arrest of any person in a vehicle where drugs are found, when a vehicle is stopped)

Other than that, unless he puts up a fight, let it go.
engineer

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2020 02:37 pm
@highanxiety789,
I also think it is time for you to examine how you really feel about it. Are you really ok or not? If not, you need to say so. It's ok. If you don't care, then make sure you are legal.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2020 02:44 pm
@Sturgis,
Not having a carrying permit is not the same as not being able to own or transport a firearm except in a very few states. Also, a few very special cities, especially New York city.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2020 02:47 pm
@highanxiety789,
It sounds like he is asking ahead of time for your permission. I assume that if you tell him 'no', he will abide by your wishes. I don't see any problem so long as he leaves it up to you.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2020 07:37 am
H-m-m

He went ahead and did what he wanted without taking the time to confirm your answer. Plus, he’s committing a felony by carrying that gun back and forth to your home.

roger

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2020 11:08 am
@PUNKEY,
Okay, but in which state is it illegal to transport a firearm. Certainly not New Mexico, and if there is such a federal law, I hope you will point it out.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2020 02:56 pm
The OP said he looked it up to see if his “license to carry “ was valid in that state. She did not use the word “transport” which is legal in most states.

It’s not clear whether he wanted to “carry” the weapon or bring it into the home and keep it in a drawer or luggage.

He should not have been so presumptuous as to even bring it into the house.

Just my opinion.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Should I be angry, concerned or neither if bf did not tell me he brought a gun to my house?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 07:47:02