Chinese Stone

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 08:23 pm
Hi,

Does anyone have more information on this stone discovered in China?

Do you think it's a fake?

http://www.theepochtimes.com/news/5-5-31/29172.html

At the bottom of the article page you will find a link of the article in Chinese.

Thanks,

AE
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,944 • Replies: 22
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 09:57 pm
Always a sucker for this sorta thing, I did some data mining. What I came up with was that there appears to be one story about this, which has burgeoned across the web, strictly among the sort of website that generally waxes breathless about such "discoveries" as man-eating dinosaurs, bat-faced babies, and miraculous pictures of saints appearing in improbable circumstances. All references to the "hidden words tones" stem from one identical article, and searching the English Language sites of Chinese, general Asian, and other newspapers turns up nothing. While certainly not conclusive, that leads me to suspect there is far less to this story than meets the eye.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 09:57 pm
270,000,000 years old?

The stone may be ancient, but the carving is undoubtedly more recent.

For starters, who was around to carve?
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 10:06 pm
I question the writing characters (writing) too. They look very modern to me, and I don't know chinese. So long ago, would they not look different?
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 10:11 pm
Thanks timber. and Noddy
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2005 10:13 pm
AngeliqueEast wrote:
I question the writing characters (writing) too. They look very modern to me, and I don't know chinese. So long ago, would they not look different?

Chinese wouldn't have changed that much - those words may look "modern" but they could highly possibly be from that time. The whole issue looks ridicolous to me - the collapse of the chinese communist party? Yeah yeah yeah...the stone is probably ancient but this looks like a stupid prank.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2005 10:26 pm
I'm a skeptic - about the writing being that old. Wink
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 12:32 am
Pragmatic, so your saying that the chinese text would not have changed that much. I still find it difficult to believe that chinese text looked so much the same that long ago.

I agree cicerone.

Thank you all for your input.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 12:34 am
AngeliqueEast wrote:
Pragmatic, so your saying that the chinese text would not have changed that much. I still find it difficult to believe that chinese text looked so much the same that long ago.

Chinese text would not have changed - words are still the same words. But the carving does look a bit too modern.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 01:07 am
So many forgeries out there. It just proves how easily the human animal can be fooled. Most, but not all, is still a bad thing.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 01:09 am
Did you hear about the great fairy scam a few years back? Don't feel too bad about forgeries Angelique, even the great Sir Arthur Doyle, writer of sherlock holmes, was fooled by the fairy scam. the scammers? Two little girls.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 01:19 am
Yes, I'm a fan of Arthur Cannon Doyle, and I did hear of it. I have the pictures and story too. He was also seriously searching for the truth in spiritualism. In spiritualism they have people that conduct scams too, but they are some people that are true spiritualist too.

Among all the forgeries you can find some authentic works too.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 01:22 am
There will be both in every case. What's the go - are you intending to go into forensics or something? It would be a great career in History and/or criminal areas.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 01:34 am
No, I study the human animal, his mind, and his soul. This I do on my own. I'm really studying to be an Art Therapist.

Arthur Cannon Doyle was my first inspiration. I like his Sherlock Holmes stories. I believe that if you search for the truth, in a sincere, and unselfish manner you will find it.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 01:38 am
I love Sherlock Holmes for his pure ingenious!! I love all his stories but the Blue Carbuncle and the Spotted Band would be my favourites.

Do you like Agatha Christie as well then? (Love that hercule piriot!)
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 01:50 am
Yes, and miss marble, and all the others. But Sherlock Holmes has the magic for me. His intelligent deductions really started me thinking about a lot of things.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 01:52 am
We both love the human mind and brain and its thought processes, don't we? :wink:
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 01:56 am
Oh yes, you have no idea how much I love it. Humans, what a wonderful animal, and since they discovered words there is no end to their deadly mischief.*smiles*
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 03:38 pm
People!

The carving is claimed to be 270 million years old. I don't know about your families, but my family was still knuckle-walking across the African savannah.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 03:56 pm
270 Million years ago, there wasn't an African Savannah, and knuckles were yet a future development.
0 Replies