Still waiting on gift

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2019 07:47 pm
Hi, I have been dating a man for a few months, long distance. We have not been able to see each other since we began dating, but have known each other twenty plus years from school, and saw each other two years ago, so we have met in person, just not recently. He is planning to come for a visit in the next couple of months. My birthday was around three months ago, and he told me he had bought some gifts that he wanted to mail me. He still has not sent them. We talk every day, so it's not a matter of losing touch or anything like that. He mentioned today that he has started his Christmas shopping. It hurt my feelings that he is buying other people Christmas gifts when he never sent me the birthday gift. It just makes me feel like a low priority to him. Should I say something? Am I overreacting?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 234 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2019 07:32 am
@Rainbowfriend,
Why didn't you ask him earlier? He said he was going to send you something and you didn't receive it. It could have gotten lost in the mail and somehow he got the address wrong. Here - he could be thinking what an ungrateful b* - I sent her this nice gift and she didn't thank me for it.

My own mom once mis-addressed a card with a gift card in it - she put my maiden name on it (even though I had been married over 10 years) - my neighbor just happen to have the same last name, recently moved elsewhere - so it ended up getting forwarded to her new home. She thoughtfully brought it me but that was quite a while after my mom had sent it.

In any case - it could have been lost, mis-directed, etc. When someone says they are going to send something and you do not get it within a reasonable time frame, it is completely ok to say - I know you said you were going to send something, but I never received it - I am worried it might have gotten lost in the mail. If he did send it and it had insurance or tracking he can then investigate or get the insurance for it.

If he forgot it then - he could always say oh my gosh I completely forgot to put it in the mail and then send it off.

Better to get it resolved than sit and stew over it.

It could be a simple oversight (gift sitting in a closet where he thought he mailed it or completely forgot to pick it up), lost or redirected in the mail, or intentionally "forgotten".

Three months though might be too long to mention at this point so you might need to let it go.

However, if he does come over and he sent you an expensive piece of jewelry expecting you to wear it - he may make mention of it.

At this point I think you need to let it go since you waited 3 months.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2019 03:15 pm
Next time you are talking to him, mention you are wearing something you like, which was given to you by someone for your birthday. Very low-key, like, “ just a minute, I dropped my earring. Mary gave it to me for my birthday and I’d feel bad if it got lost.” See if he picks up on that.

If not, let the issue drop.

Perhaps he’s not acting on things because your relationship seems very vague. You two seem to tolerate and even like this long distance thing and not much is being done to put it in high gear. So presents are not a priority.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Still waiting on gift
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 07:07:55