Moving, worried about charge from live in landlord

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2019 09:48 am
I'm moving in decembet..I'm worried about a fracture in the wall underneath the window that I did not catch at move in, but I know I did not create the damage. In the original pictures, the wall is hidden behind a couch and the windows are covered by a black cloth. The blinds were horrible but I replaced them, i did mention the windows too. He did not provide a checklist or copy of lease. Should i be worried? In texas.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 376 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2019 11:46 pm
@shyguygamer1,
There are different laws and regulations depending upon where you are. Saying that you are in Texas is rather meaningless; since, well, it's a big state. What might be tenant law in Amarillo may not match up with Port Arthur or Galveston laws.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2019 12:15 am
@shyguygamer1,
No check list, no copy of lease. I would be worried
Sturgis

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2019 12:20 am
@roger,
Might be best to just vamoose at 4 a.m. (that's how I escaped from Arkansas)
roger

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2019 12:49 am
@Sturgis,
I get your drift, but maybe tricky with a live in landlord.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2019 09:08 am
@shyguygamer1,
Did you provide a room deposit? It is possible the landlord could take some from this deposit to pay for the repair - especially if you have no proof.

How was this landlord when you lived there? Was s/he reasonable? If so - you could refer to the pictures where this is hidden. Also if they give you a hard time you can point to this and say they intentionally hid the fracture.

Might not stand up - but if you at least fight it - respectfully of course - they may back down.
shyguygamer1

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2019 09:17 am
@Linkat,
Landlord was absolutely horrible. He is trying to eliminate a rodent problem with plywood a bucket and a garbage can--took pictures of this. He has not fixed toilet in 3 months..has sign that says to not flush TP down toilet..took pics. Gunk all over fridge from items..I have no proof of this. He is the only one who uses the living room for his band well past quiet hours, I recorded from my room the audio with time, this video only went to 1130ish..Texas law is 1030..but he has gone as late as 4am, including even a concert in the backyard. He has not notified me of any of these problems except toilet issue. He says he is the "assistant landlord." I tried cleaning his incredibly pet stained carpet which he says I ruined and created mildew and mold when cleaning, which it did smell bad when I got home so this is possible, or possible smell came from years of nobody cleaning it. In any case we agreed to $400 to repair, he comes back and asks for $100 more, I ask for receipt and he says he doesnt have it and tries explaining what other people would have charged.
Linkat

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2019 11:01 am
@shyguygamer1,
Keep all the records you have -

Did you give a deposit? Is that what you are worried about not getting your deposit back?

If so, you can fight this if he refuses by telling him you will report all these things he did not do or provide.

If he looks for more money from you - say no - and state all the facts and records you have. Just be firm and polite. If he comes after you - you can always provide whatever records you do have.

He sounds shady - so it is highly unlikely he will pursue using legal means - he probably has more issues with the law on his side so he probably would want to avoid dealing with anything legally.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Moving, worried about charge from live in landlord
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 12:03:34