Am I being fair?

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2019 09:52 am
I'm in a new relationship but it's gotten pretty serious so I see my bf every weekend. My daughter lives out of state and has not been well so she needs a certain test which I want to be there for. I'd prefer to stay with my daughter a few days so I can help her out if she needs me. But that weekend is my new bf's birthday and we had plans for Friday and Saturday nights. He birthday is Thursday. I can't see him Thursday anyway because he lives a bit of a distance.

The only resolution I can think of is for me to fly home early Saturday and spend that day and Sunday with him.

My daughter wants to go home with me for the weekend but I explained to her I have plans with the bf. If it wasn't his birthday, I'd skip the weekend altogether but he will be away the following weekend to see his daughter and new grandchild across the country.

so...I'm anxious about a few things: telling him my thought about skipping on the plans for Friday and seeing him Saturday and Sunday and

telling my daughter instead of her coming home I'll stay until Saturday morning.

Am I worrying for no reason? I don't want to disappoint either of them. Is my idea a good compromise?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 344 • Replies: 3
No top replies

engineer

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2019 11:26 am
@guiltornot,
You see your bf every weekend, he will be OK if you need to take time to be with your daughter. Call him on his birthday, get some pics of the new grandchild.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2019 08:15 am
@guiltornot,
Really? Your daughter is not well - this trumps a birthday for an old guy (I am assuming you are all older if your daughter lives out of state from you she must be a young adult).

You can celebrate with him the week after. He is a grown man and should understand that the health of your daughter and thus the emotional support she would get from you as a result should be above a birthday.

Personally I would skip the weekend with him entirely - make sure she is good and reschedule. To be honest you both would have a better time if you did this as then your attention could be focused completely on him. If you were to cut the weekend short with your daughter, you likely would be thinking of her while out with him.

He is a grown man - and should understand this - if he doesn't personally I would not want to be with him - only someone pretty selfish would be upset that you postpone being with your child (even grown) when she is not feeling well.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2019 09:48 am
Older men aren’t into big birthday celebrations, anyway. Sounds like it means more to you than him.

If it were me, all attention would be focused on my daughter.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Am I being fair?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 03:37:28