Familiar with NYC? Lower East Side?

Linkat

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2019 10:46 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Linkat wrote:

Ok so I looked up the subway situation - it $2.75 for each trip - the weekly unlimited pass cost $33 which equates to 12 trips - so I guess it depends on how much we plan to use it.

Sorry. But I think I need to clarify what may be a confusion here. Unlimited metrocards can't be shared by more than one person. Once it's been swiped at a station, it won't allow a second swipe until (I can't remember...) 10ish minutes or unless you try to enter a different station or bus. Not sure ... there might be a better way to express that.

I wasn't under that impression - I meant if we each use it 12 trips - meaning we each buy the weekly unlimited pass. I don't think we will be getting off and on that many times - but who knows.

We have similar passes here in Boston - so fully aware that you cannot double swipe.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2019 11:29 am
@tsarstepan,
Yes, but our 10 year old companion was let in free.
Linkat

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2019 11:43 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Yes, but our 10 year old companion was let in free.

well my companion will be 21 - although she looks young - I don't think she will pass for 10!
maxdancona

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2019 12:48 pm
@Linkat,
Ha! You can buy her a beer then. (I still feel odd drinking my grown up kids.)
Linkat

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2019 02:14 pm
@maxdancona,
Yep she is just turning about a week before we go on this trip - it is her birthday present.

I went ahead and booked the hotel. Gave them a call just to make sure the parking was the actual price stated (she did let me know "before taxes") but since we are only paying $3.50 for the room - not sure why - usually using our points it is $0 - I figure we can pay the tax.

Looked and saw though the Christmas tree won't be up until the beginning of Dec in Rockefeller Plaza. She would have enjoyed that. I have had the opportunity to see that.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2019 05:40 pm
I enjoyed this thread. I visited the Lower East Side a couple of times in the 60s.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2019 07:45 am
I lived there in the early '70s. East **** Street between Avenues C and D. Six floor walk-up with a bathtub in the "kitchen". Nice view of an abandoned lot out the heavily-barred back window. Had a crazy Eastern European neighbor who wore a black greatcoat all year long and paced noisily in his apartment most of the night. I think the rent was $85 a month.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2019 03:20 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
...tree won't be until th beginning of Dec...

All is not lost.
The tree itself arrives this Saturday, November 9. It will be decorated with the lights and topping star by the 13th. Official lighting however is still not until December 4.

At least you and your daughter can see the decorated tree.

Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree
Linkat

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2019 05:51 pm
@Sturgis,
Great! Yeah - and I figure all the storefronts will be decorated as well.

Just a little over 2 weeks away.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2019 03:29 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

All is not lost.
The tree itself arrives this Saturday, November 9. It will be decorated with the lights and topping star by the 13th. Official lighting however is still not until December 4.

At least you and your daughter can see the decorated tree.

Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree

Yeah the tree was there but all this stuff was around it - scaffolding so you could not even see the tree.

We got into NYC about 9:30am parked on the street near times Square - seeing it was Sunday we did not need to pay. Walked all around there - went into the more unique stores - my girl was in Nike heaven in the Nike store - 6 floors! with one whole floor on their shoes -

Went to Rockefellar center - did not go to top of Roc due to it raining; but walked all over that area.

Got back to the car and checked into the hotel about 1:30. Got cleaned up went for a late quick lunch and to the meet and greet and the concert.

Thought we would go for a late dinner in China town but was so tired, we got take out some wine and ate in the room. Fell asleep exhausted - in the morning drove by the 9-11 memorial and then headed home

A quick but good trip - oh and we took the subway F train as was suggested to the concert - was pretty easy just took a little bit for a train (probably being a Sunday).
Sturgis

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2019 11:42 pm
@Linkat,
Glad you had a nice time. Sorry to learn about the tree and scaffolding. I had no idea that would be surrounding it.

Linkat

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2019 10:18 am
@Sturgis,
No worries... we had ago I’d time even in the rain.... makes me want to comeback for a longer time.

The Chinese restaurant was cool was downstairs...tiny little place with all these dollar bills hanging up that people wrote on. I think it was Won Top?

One thing I found odd .. in the hotel room there was a plaque that was about human trafficking... I thought keepers this hotel doesn’t have an issue with it? It was clean and comfortable so I doubted it and saw no signs of it. I figured maybe the city requires this to help cut down on it?
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 08:02:34