You can go home again: Reunions and the Alma Mater.

Noddy24

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 01:18 pm
I'm just back from my 45th college reunion and had a wonderful time.

In spite of the changes in the world--and in our lives--between l960 and 2005 the women in my class were able to pick up conversations and jokes and informational exchanges as though we'd been meeting on a monthly basis over the years.

Have you been to a class reunion? Were you depressed or uplifted? Did you enjoy yourself?

I'm planning for 2010 and my 50th reunion.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 400 • Replies: 4
No top replies

mac11

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 01:29 pm
I attended my 10th and 20th high school reunions and had a great time. I enjoyed seeing how everyone turned out. Some folks hit their peak at 17 and others just keep getting better.

This reminds me that my 30th should be in 2007 and I want to track someone down and be sure we're going to have a reunion.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 01:48 pm
hmmmm, my 30th for high school is next year
guess i'd better find out what's going on in the old hometown

i went to the school's 25th anniversary, which was about 10 years for my class. it wasn't too interesting. i went with the people i still kept/keep in touch with - and stayed with them for the evening. sorta silly. should have sought out a few more people to catch up with.

haven't been to any university reunions. can't imagine going.

~~~~~~~

Edit. I would definitely go to a reunion of the housing co-op I used to live in. You've tweaked my interest in that, so I'm going to go find out what's up back at WCRI.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 02:03 pm
Ah, Noddy. I am so delighted that you had a good time. So, Thomas Wolfe was wrong after all.

I went to one high school reunion and only then because I was paid to sing with the band. No more for me, thanks.

In my undergrad college, they call it homecoming. Won't go to that either, but I will get an alumni magazine, and can even access my old friends on line. As far as UVA is concerned, all they want is money. <smile>
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 02:35 pm
I graduated from a small women's liberal arts college. There were 204 students in our Freshman class and 140 of us graduated four years later. The entire student body was only 750 strong, big enough for variety but small enough that you recognized every face and could attach names to most of the faces.

Also, cars on campus were not common in the late '50's. A residential college was much more isolated from the larger community than it is now.

Last Friday there were a lot of unfamiliar faces under the Class of '60 banner, but by Sunday brunch all our wrinkles had vanished.

Women whom I had dismissed as pedestrian as a snotty undergraduate were delightful. Yes, the Class Bore was still a bit of a bore, but she has done far more good for the world through church and community activities than I have. One of the class jocks is rollerblading to keep in shape for skiing season. One of my fellow English majors is a poet with a national reputation.

As Mac explained it, we hadn't changed--we'd intensified.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » You can go home again: Reunions and the Alma Mater.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/07/2024 at 08:28:27