The pain of being disinherited.

Reply Sun 20 Oct, 2019 06:52 pm
It is a long story on unequal distribution. My Dad is a self-made man who became a CEO of a major Fortune 500 company. He is now in his 90s. I was raised in wealth but always treated differently, and even as a child there were many times he told me he didn't like me. I felt like an unwanted foster child.

I decided to take some time off from college when he cut me off. Five years later struggling to pay bills and put myself through college I contacted the family. My mother had died and my Dad remarried a much younger woman and they had 2 children. He agreed to help me with living expenses but not my tuition. I was grateful and it helped a lot. Fast forward to the time when I wanted to go the graduate school: he would not help. Nevertheless, over the years, he has helped me out from time to time and helped me buy a car.

I am on disability now and recently ran into some financial trouble when the owner of my apartment building sold the building and we all have to move. Rents are skyrocketing in my area. I approached my Dad and he said he would not help. He also said "I am not a rich man."

I turned to the internet and found out recently more about his assets. He owns 2 homes paid in full, one worth $1.6 million and last year sold a vacation condo for 3 million cash. Two weeks after the sale of the condo one of my step sisters who has no visible resources bought as 700,000k home. He has at least 1 mil in a stock portfolio and in retirement gets over 100k a year. His total net worth is well above 6 million.

My Dad made it clear to me upon his death everything will go to his second wife who I haven't spoken with in 10 years. The sale of the condo and the extra house shows up as an assset for my other step sister. He also fully funded their private school college tuitions including master's degrees at colleges where the tuition is $50,000.00 a year.

It hurts. I know I was always disliked, and least favoured. But I always thought he would provide some token amount for me. He is aware of my situation and that it is desperate. He just doesn't care. When I tried to talk to him about the whole situation, he became verbally abusive.

I guess life just isn't fair sometimes. Everything in his will is set up as POD (Payable on death) to his wife. Is there anything I can do?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 315 • Replies: 4
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 20 Oct, 2019 06:57 pm
@3mistyrivers,
What part of get a trusts and estates attorney don't you understand? And how in the Hell didn't you NOT expect that as an answer?
3mistyrivers

Reply Sun 20 Oct, 2019 09:54 pm
@tsarstepan,
It's hard to find a lawyer on a contingency basis. My family's estate is based in Texas. I am in Washington.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2019 08:43 am
@3mistyrivers,
3mistyrivers wrote:

It's hard to find a lawyer on a contingency basis. My family's estate is based in Texas. I am in Washington.

Sorry to hear that but as per the terms of service of a2k...
Quote:
D. THIS SERVICE DOES NOT PROVIDE PROFESSIONAL LEGAL ADVICE. All of the services' content, including postings, is for informational purposes only. The service is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal advice, and no attorney/client privilege is to be inferred from any postings herein. Always seek the advice of a qualified legal professional with questions you have regarding a legal matter. You should not disregard professional legal advice because of something you have received from or read in the able2know service.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2019 08:55 am
@3mistyrivers,
If your dad is in his 90's, that puts you where. late 60's? And you still think he "owes" you money somehow? Why haven't you talked to your step mom in the last 10 YEARS? Why are you so jealous of your step sister? It's not like she owes you an explanation of how her finances work.

Why do you feel always disliked?

Are you married?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » The pain of being disinherited.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 09:17:34