Students & Word Problems

harpazo

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2019 08:44 am
Why do you think most students struggle with word problems? I say lack of reading comprehension and weak math background. What do you say?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 529 • Replies: 16
No top replies

rtankus

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2019 09:27 am
A few reasons.
1) Crowd mentality - People are so used to hearing or being told of how hard and bad word problems are, so when they come across them, they automatically get stuck on simple concepts.
2) Overthinking - People find it super hard to take things exactly as they're worded and try to come up with different reasons of "why" or "how" when the answer is simply a calculation.
3) Lack of reading comprehension - Totally agree with you on this one. Tons of people lack the necessary skills to filter out relevant/irrelevant information in problems and totally misunderstand a problem, even if they have the calculations right.
4) Misapplication - applying the wrong concepts to the problem.
5) Laziness - "Too much reading, too much interpretation, I just don't want to."
6)Overwhelming - A cluster of words can be super overwhelming and bog brains down if you can't pick through.

I could probably add more if I wanted to think.
harpazo

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2019 10:02 am
@rtankus,
Nicely stated.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2019 12:03 pm
@harpazo,
I disagree with all of the reasons given so far.

Transforming word problems into a mathematical expressions is a skill that is difficult for many people. It involves both the ability to parse language and to think symbolically.

The reason people have teouble doing it is because it is a difficult skill to master.
harpazo

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2019 12:31 pm
@maxdancona,
I agree. It is not easy. Some people dedicate months even years trying to master the skill to convert equations from stated information in word problems but to no avail. This is especially true in terms of probability applications. Probability word problems are quite fuzzy and often not clearly worded. Like you said, some people just never get it.
0 Replies

harpazo

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2019 12:33 pm
@rtankus,
Some people dedicate months even years trying to master the skill to convert equations from stated information in word problems but to no avail. This is especially true in terms of probability applications. Probability word problems are quite fuzzy and often not clearly worded. Some people just never get it.

Here is one:

Two numbers add up to 72. One number is twice the other. Find the numbers.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2019 01:25 pm
@harpazo,
That's fairly straightforward, but how about this one..

4 people are in a room. 6 people.leave. gow many people need to reenter.the room for it to be empty?
harpazo

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2019 04:13 pm
@maxdancona,
Your sample application is hard to read with so many typos.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2019 08:27 pm
@harpazo,
What typos?
harpazo

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2019 01:40 am
@maxdancona,
Here it is:

4 people are in a room. 6 people.leave. gow many people need to reenter.the room for it to be empty?

WHAT IS GOW?

NEVER BEGIN A SENTENCE WITH A NUMBER.

WHY TWO PERIODS HERE

". 6 people.leave."?

YOU FORGOT THE HYPHEN IN THE WORD RE-ENTER. SEE IT?

maxdancona

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2019 05:57 am
@harpazo,
Sigh!

You are focusing on pedantry and missing the interesting mathematical idea. Maybe that is the answer to the question you are raising. I will make all of the changes you suggest and try again.

Quote:
Four people are in a room. Six people leave. How many people have to re-enter the room for it to be empty?

Is that better for you?

harpazo

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2019 10:47 am
@maxdancona,
If four people are in a room, then six cannot leave. At most, four can leave. Now my turn. Yes?

Integrate (1/(sqrt{x^2}) from 1 to 4. Show your work....

Please, solve before the rapture of the church.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2019 11:10 am
@harpazo,
You are missing the point. This problem has a perfectly good mathematical answer.

4 - 6 + 2 = 0

The constraint you are adding is based on your beliefs about how people work. It isn't inherent in the problem.
harpazo

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2019 12:54 pm
@maxdancona,
Let me guess: COMMON CORE MATH???
maxdancona

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2019 04:35 pm
@harpazo,
I am pretty sure I know more math then you do. But who cares? I am just here to have fun.

I am not here to fight, having fun with math is actually valuable.
0 Replies

knaivete

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2019 08:44 pm
@harpazo,
Quote:
Integrate (1/(sqrt{x^2}) from 1 to 4. Show your work....

Is this a triangle which I see before me, the base toward my hand? Come, let me clutch thee.

Forsooth, the secret is out, the nights at the museum are spent integrating by substitution with trigonometric functions.

harpazo

Reply Sat 19 Oct, 2019 01:30 am
@knaivete,
You are a Pelosi follower, right?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Students & Word Problems
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 07:44:14