Why are economies always expected to grow?

livinglava

Reply Sat 19 Oct, 2019 09:44 am
@ThomasTheApe,
ThomasTheApe wrote:

So you're saying that you think that all markets (not just stocks) are perfectly efficient, and there is no point trying to analyze data?

First, I don't know where you got the idea that I made any claims about the relative efficiency of markets.

Second, what does the relative efficiency of markets have to do with the purpose of data analysis?

Quote:
But also, since you say that "everyone" is looking at the same data, I would say that...

When did I say that everyone is looking at the same data?

Quote:
1. Not everyone looks at this stuff in the first place.
2. There are people who control a lot of money (think BlackRock, Vanguard, etc.) that actually move markets. But the average individual investor will have no affect on the market.

There are emergent patterns among seemingly-disconnected individual investment behaviors. Think how a flock of birds flows in patterned ways, with some birds joining or leaving the flock to join with others and join into other patterns.

0 Replies

ThomasTheApe

Reply Sat 19 Oct, 2019 11:12 am
@hightor,
I see your analogy, but do the numbers make this true?

In an actual Ponzi scheme, there are ZERO actual profits and every investor is paid back by further investors until it collapses. Pyramid schemes and multilevel marketing are not far from that.

Now for actual businesses...

Microsoft trailing twelve months. $43 billion operating income, just $2.7 billion in interest payments.

0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 08:37:40