How are treasury yields determined on a daily basis?

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2019 05:21 am
Since primary bonds are only auctioned a certain number of times per year, how are the bond rates updated by the second? The bond rates listed on Treasury.gov are updated daily. Aren't these primary bond rates? Where are these prices from if the underlying bond is only auctioned once per month, for example?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 248 • Replies: 6
No top replies

engineer

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2019 06:04 am
@ThomasTheApe,
The bonds are traded like stocks and the prices go up and down with the supply and demand. If a bond has a face value of $100 and a coupon of 5%, but the price drops to $95, the interest rate is now 5% * 100/95 = 5.26%.
ThomasTheApe

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2019 02:11 am
@engineer,
Ok. I see what I did wrong. I read the rates on this site...

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/data-chart-center/interest-rates/pages/textview.aspx?data=yield

I assumed this was primary market because the site is Treasury.gov. But now I see in the fine print that they get this data from the OTC market.
0 Replies

ThomasTheApe

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2019 02:45 am
@engineer,
Then why have the yields on 10year treasuries still been going down despite 2 recent rate cuts?
engineer

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2019 06:33 am
@ThomasTheApe,
Because the US economy is doing pretty well compared to the rest of the world resulting in the dollar getting stronger and more demand for US Treasuries. Higher demand -> higher price -> lower yield. The rate cuts are in the short term borrowing rate that banks charge each other and don't impact treasury rates.
0 Replies

ThomasTheApe

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2019 01:10 pm
Does anyone know where I can find the results of recent treasury auctions? I can't seem to find it on Treasury.gov.
engineer

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2019 01:19 pm
@ThomasTheApe,
Try here.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » How are treasury yields determined on a daily basis?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 08:17:57