Take the War-on-Iraq IQ Test

Monger

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 07:30 am
No new revelations here...I just thougth this was an excellent summary. It was written before the latest round of Iraq inspections began, and has been making the Internet rounds since then.

Also see BumbleBeeBoogie's posting 'A warmonger explains war to a peacenik'.

----------
Take the War-on-Iraq IQ Test
Charles Sheketoff, Executive Director - Oregon Center for Public Policy

Do you know enough to justify going to war with Iraq?

Q: What percentage of the world's population does the U.S. have?
A: 6%

Q: What percentage of the world's wealth does the U.S. have?
A: 50%

Q: Which country has the largest oil reserves?
A: Saudi Arabia

Q: Which country has the second largest oil reserves?
A: Iraq

Q: How much is spent on military budgets a year worldwide?
A: $900+ billion

Q: How much of this is spent by the U.S.?
A: 50%

Q: What percent of US military spending would ensure the essentials of life to everyone in the world, according the UN?
A: 10% (that's about $40 billion, the amount of funding initially requested to fund our retaliatory attack on Afghanistan).

Q: How long has Iraq had chemical and biological weapons?
A: Since the early 1980's.

Q: Did Iraq develop these chemical & biological weapons on their own?
A: No, the materials and technology were supplied by the US government, along with Britain and private corporations.

Q: Did the US government condemn the Iraqi use of gas warfare against Iran?
A: No

Q: How many people did Saddam Hussein kill using gas in the Kurdish town of Halabja in 1988?
A: 5,000

Q: How many western countries condemned this action at the time?
A: 0

Q: How many gallons of agent Orange did America use in Vietnam?
A: 17 million.

Q: What is the estimated number of civilian casualties in the Gulf War?
A: 35,000

Q: How many casualties did the Iraqi military inflict on the western forces during the Gulf War?
A: Less than 200 (Scud Missle hit on US base)

Q: How many retreating Iraqi soldiers were buried alive by U.S. tanks with ploughs mounted on the front?
A: 6,000

Q: How many tons of depleted uranium were left in Iraq and Kuwait after the Gulf War?
A: 40 tons

Q: How much of Iraq's military capacity did America claim it had destroyed in 1991?
A: 80%

Q: Is there any proof that Iraq plans to use its weapons for anything other than deterrence and self defense?

Q: Does Iraq present more of a threat to world peace now than 10 years ago?

Q: Are there any proven links between Iraq and September 11th terrorist attack?

Q: How many civilian deaths has the Pentagon predicted in the event of an attack on Iraq in 2002/3?
A: 10,000

Q: How many years has the U.S. engaged in air strikes on Iraq?
A: 11 years

Q: Were the U.S and the UK at war with Iraq between December 1998 and September 1999?

Q: How many pounds of explosives were dropped on Iraq between December 1998 and September 1999?
A: 20 million

Q: How many years ago was UN Resolution 661 introduced, imposing strict sanctions on Iraq's imports and exports?
A: 12 years

Q: What was the child death rate in Iraq in 1989 (per 1,000 births)?
A: 38

Q: What was the estimated child death rate in Iraq in 1999 (per 1,000 births)?
A: 131 (an increase of 345%)

Q: What according to the UN was the increase in cancer rates in Iraq between 1991 and 1994?
A: 700%

Q: How many Iraqis are estimated to have died by October 1999 as a result of UN sanctions?
A: 1.5 million

Q: How many Iraqi children are estimated to have died due to sanctions since 1997?
A: 750,000

Q: How many inspections were there in November and December 1998?
A: 300

Q: How many of these inspections had problems?
A: 5

Q: Were the weapons inspectors allowed entry to the Ba'ath Party HQ?
A: Yes

Q: Did Saddam order the inspectors out of Iraq?

Q: Who said that by December 1998, "Iraq had in fact, been disarmed to a level unprecedented in modern history."
A: Scott Ritter, UNSCOM chief.

Q: In 1998 how much of Iraq's post 1991 capacity to develop weapons of mass destruction did the UN weapons inspectors claim to have discovered and dismantled?
A: 90%

Q: Is Iraq willing to allow the weapons inspectors back in?
A: Yes

Q: How many UN resolutions did Israel violate by 1992?
A: Over 65

Q: How many UN resolutions on Israel did America veto between 1972 and 1990?
A: 30+

Q: How many countries are known to have nuclear weapons?
A: 8

Q: How many nuclear warheads has Iraq got?
A: 0

Q: How many nuclear warheads has the US got?
A: Over 10,000

Q: How many nuclear warheads does Israel have?
A: Over 400

Q: Which is the only country that has used nuclear weapons?
A: The US

Q: Who said, "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter"?
A: Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,677 • Replies: 19
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 07:41 am
Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 07:45 am
It is a pity that even at the face of such overwhelming evidence that the war against Iraq is not justified, Bush and Blair are going ahead with it.
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 08:01 am
Good grief, This isn't "evidence"....

Is there a question in there about how many of his own people he has raped, killed, tortured or maimed?

Or is that "our fault" too?
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 08:05 am
maxsdadeo wrote:
Is there a question in there about how many of his own people he has raped, killed, tortured or maimed?

Is that enough reason to take him out "unilaterally" ??
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 08:06 am
Hmmmmm - good point Max!

Oh - except that if you look at the raping/torturing/maiming dictators in the world over the last 60 odd
years, a goodly number of them appear to have had/have US support, for tactical reasons - wonder how the ones that get attacked by the US get chosen?
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 08:06 am
maxsdadeo wrote:
Good grief, This isn't "evidence"....
Or is that "our fault" too?

Although this article can be used to support many good points, you're right that this isn't exactly evidence of anything in particular. These are merely statistics for the questions the author raised. Can you provide statistics for your own questions you've asked here?

EDIT: edited for clarity.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 08:09 am
Oh - that list I allude to included Hussein himself for a goodly while, didn't it? Guess he must have changed a lot for the worse since those days, though, mustn't he?
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 08:09 am
If crushing internal rebellion to protect the integrity of your country is a war crime, then several other countries in the world should be invaded (including "I looked the man in his eyes and I trust him" Putin)
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 08:14 am
maxdadeo, that question is irrelevant unless our sole purpose in starting a war with Iraq is to remove its dictator. That was not GWB's original stated purpose in attacking the country and was not brought up until he realized that his original reason was unconvincing and he needed to add additional "reasons." If his sole purpose is now regime change, our country is in for a lot of wars to relieve the world of brutal dictators. No. 2 to be hit will be Kim Jong Il. And, of course, other countries will follow our sterling lead and take out administrations that they do not like or determine to be "evil."

To my mind, the issue is not whether all of today's problems are "our" fault or those of Iraq. The question is what we are doing about the problems. War is not the answer.
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 08:43 am
I know it isn't, monger,

gautam wrote:
Quote:
It is a pity that even at the face of such overwhelming evidence

I was merely responding.

gautam wrote:
Quote:
Is that enough reason to take him out "unilaterally" ??

It was to take out Milosevic, wasn't it?

Where you equally appalled then?

dlowan: Yes, and at one time allies such as Great Britain and Mexico were our enemies.

What does that prove?
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 08:44 am
With Milosevic, EU and NATO approved the action.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 08:59 am
It proves, Max, that Saddam is NOT being attacked for his murder, rape etc etc - which are the things you mentioned in apparent justification of the attack on Iraq.
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 09:09 am
dlowan:Runnin' on only one cup of java today dear, (bear with me), how does it prove that?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 09:14 am
Well, Thanks Monger. I think it is an excellent summary. Does anybody disagree with these statistics? Are any of them incorrect?

We've had a host of excuses about why the US is invading -- now it's his raping and pillaging? Well, where were we in Rwanda?

I wonder if we'll ever know the real reason for this war?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 09:20 am
LOL!

Max - you said that "Is there a question in there about how many of his own people he has raped, killed, tortured or maimed? "

I took this, perhaps erroneously (?) to mean that you felt that his treatment of his own people was a justification for the USA (and us!) to invade.

This, if you meant it in this way, would seem to imply logically that the USA believes it correct to invade countries to relieve them of brutal dictators.

However, if this is so, surely it it presents a logical hole in this argument if, in fact, the USA, has SUPPORTED brutal dictators.

Given that it undoubtedly has done so (as have many other countries in the west, including mine but we speak here of the USA)
then it would seem that the USA does not, in fact, act as though it believes that brutal dictatorships are a reason to invade, or indeed, condemn, other countries.

Therefore it would seem reasonable to assume that it being under a brutal dictator is not a reason for the US invasion of Iraq.
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 09:41 am
piffka: We were in the skirts of Monica during Rwanda. (is that how you spell that?)

gautam: Bring back that handsome rake, you devil!!

dlowan: Yes, we have, though since tin pot dictators and religious zealots of every stripe have been emboldened by the actions of 9/11 (sorry to have to remind everyone of that) against the US.

It is within a different world that we live now.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 04:13 am
bookmarking.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 08:59 am
maxsdadeo wrote:
I know it isn't, monger,
gautam wrote:
It is a pity that even at the face of such overwhelming evidence that the war against Iraq is not justified, Bush and Blair are going ahead with it.
I was merely responding.

Max'sDad, I do not believe Gautam was referring specifically to the article I posted here, and Gautam's statement stands.

maxsdadeo wrote:
Dlowan, Yes we have [supported brutal dictators in the past], though since tin pot dictators and religious zealots of every stripe have been emboldened by the actions of 9/11 against the US. It is within a different world that we live now.

You've got your work cut out if you hope to explain to me the logic in your statement.

Are you saying it was OK for the US to tolerate/support brutal dictatorships in the past but this is no longer the case?
Has this new policy been stated by senior US officials? I'm certainly not aware of it.
Do you think the US will never support/tolerate brutal dictatorships in the future?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 09:23 pm
maxsdadeo is right that this collection of facts and statements is in itself not "proof" of anything - but it's surely food for all kinds of thought.
0 Replies