To the people who PM'd me

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 09:49 pm
I just received this message when I tried to PM:

You have not met the PM privilege requirements for sending out PMs. Access to PMs is given to users after a period of good standing during which they have been active members of the community. To contact the site staff submit a ticket at http://help.able2know.com

I think I did the ticket thing and should get back you soon.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,323 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 09:30 am
Green Witch--

Have you seen:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=47497 ?

Exasperating as it may be, the Hamster's Motto seems to be "Ripeness is All".
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 04:56 am
I assure you Noddy, "Ripeness" is my middle name.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 04:58 am
and to Francis: Thank you, I will type away in my quest for the golden 500. Maybe I should go play one of the "never ending link games" for awhile.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 05:10 am
I hink it has been made clear whenever this topic comes up that there is no magic number.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 05:17 am
Is is just the will of the forum Gods? I hate that.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 05:20 am
By the way, will I know when the honor is bestowed upon me or must I just keep trying to PM and see if it works?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 05:27 am
Will it help to chant:

"I am worthy"
"I am worthy"

?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 05:38 am
In my waters I feel that that is unlikely to help!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 05:43 am
Worthiness has nothing to do with it. I think that the powers-that-be have set certain parameters as to when a member can PM. This is done because in the past, some members have joined just so that they could spam by PM.

The rationale is, that if you have taken the time and trouble to be a member for "X" amount of time, with "X" amount of posts, you are considered a "real" member, and not just a spammer, who is using A2K for his/her own nefarious purposes.

It is not a good idea to mention any number of posts that a person must have in order to PM. That would only encourage serious spammers to attain that number.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 08:18 am
By the way, if I remember correctly, this step was taken instead of just doing away with PMs entirely.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 12:41 pm
I would be curious to know, from amongst those who are able to use the PM feature, how often it is used.

I, myself, since I've been able to, have only used it about a half dozen times or so. So, for me, it would be "hardly ever".

The reason that is, is because I also feel that maybe you're "bothering somebody" if you send them a PM. It would be nice to have a list of people who welcome this kind of contact.
0 Replies

theollady

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 01:00 pm
For all who knew Abuzz, remember, we had the privilege of inviting members to our new topic (threads, they were called). Most of the PM's I have rec'd here have been 'invites'- or maybe a blushing apology if they felt they had ignored me.
Sometimes folks just want to say HI, or they might be genuinely interested in meeting another.
It is unfortunate that spamming (whatever that is) goes on.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 05:13 pm
Reyn wrote:
I would be curious to know, from amongst those who are able to use the PM feature, how often it is used.

I, myself, since I've been able to, have only used it about a half dozen times or so. So, for me, it would be "hardly ever".

The reason that is, is because I also feel that maybe you're "bothering somebody" if you send them a PM. It would be nice to have a list of people who welcome this kind of contact.

Almost never.

I have the odd flurry with someone from time to time - but usually I say what I want to say here - or I have people's emails and/or I can chat to them on MSN or Yahoo or whatever.

I honestly cannot see the big deal, though I gather that some folk gossip about each other, or call each other to hot threads to give each other or their position, support. I only surmise this because occasionally, on heated threads, someone has accused me of doing this, (calling in the troops) much to my amusement and disbelief.

I would far rather email or chat if I really want to talk to someone - because the interruption of PMs annoys the heck out of me.

I can recall it being helpful when I wanted to discuss something with someone here when I am at work - because, of course, I aan neither email nor chat when I am there.

Lol - human nature being what it is, though, I can imagine that, if I didn't have the damn things, I would suddenly want them! And I can imagine them being a nice way to begin to establish a friendship with someone before you get to email or chat stage.

Edit: I can imagine that the PM facility will also, in line with human nature, become less attractive to people as soon as they gain it, too! It seems to be a strange attractor for some folk - not meaning you, Green Witch - who act as though they have been personally insulted and picked on when they realise they do not yet have PM facilities. Shocked
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 05:27 pm
Honestly, I can't remember the last time that I used the PM.............either going or coming. Over the years I have used the PM from time to time, but not very often.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 05:28 pm
To me the pms are a lovely benefit that I hope the site continues to have as time goes by.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 05:30 pm
wouldn't miss 'em one iota...
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 09:01 am
I like them. They're convenient.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 09:10 am
Useful, but far from essential.

I agree with Dlowan that being interrupted in the stately tenor of my ways to view a PM can be annoying.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 11:35 pm
When I read the title of this thread, I honestly thought green witch's next post was going to be "...stop it." Laughing
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » To the people who PM'd me
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 08:20:37