Can disturbing images or footage cause mental issues?

Elix

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2019 11:49 am
In the past i have messed around online with certain sites such as liveleak and bestgore, out of curiosity i have viewed certain explicit footage such as beheadings, executions, shootings ect. At first my reaction was shock and disgust and the more i kept on watching the more i became used to it, i got no enjoyment out of watching it but i was always curious about understanding the bad that goes on in the world, i wanted to know the calibre of both good and evil, so i continued to watch more and more of it until i had to stop, this was about 3 years ago when i was 19, now that i'm 22 there was something my brother was showing me on youtube, a deputy got into an exchange with a Vietnam veteran and there was no blood or anything really gory, it was the gun shots and the sounds of someone pleading and screaming for their life, this time it was different, my hands started shaking and my heart started beating out of my chest, i had to leave the room, i am confused because i've seen things that would be considered horrific and mind altering, but i didn't have this reaction, can watching things in the past change you into having a stress response to anything remotely disturbing?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 396 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2019 12:15 pm
@Elix,
I am not a psychiatrist, but my guess would be after watching these normally upsetting things over and over one can get de-senstive to normally upsetting videos.

For the later item where the person pleading for his life to me is a different situation - you are actually hearing someone pleading - it is not just viewing, but hearing the person - to me this makes it more personal, more close. Whereas before you are just seeing something disturbing - now you are almost experiencing when you can hear the desperation in the person.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 20 Sep, 2019 09:57 am
@Elix,
It is well documented that current and former Facebook content moderators have been afflicted with PTSD (Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder).

Ex-Content Moderator Sues Facebook...
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Can disturbing images or footage cause mental issues?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/11/2024 at 01:22:13