Who's your hero?

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 06:42 am
I read this from my book: By a man's heroes ye shall know him. ----Robert Penn Warren
So who are your heroes? I wonder which kind of hero is more popular. Razz
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 782 • Replies: 10
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 06:51 am
bm
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 07:16 am
I had always considered my mom my hero even when I was little (perhaps during my teenage years I didn't). Especially being a mom myself now, I can truly appreciate her hard work and sacrifices. I can especially appreciate some one coming from very modest upbringing - huge family with little money and how my parents worked so hard that we never wanted for much - granted we had the basics and not anything too huge, but we never really needed anything else. We did not have big vacations, but did have them - we would go any away for several days at some motels and visit kid friendly sites. We always had lots of family celebrations.

My mom ensured we were taught good from bad and taught to be tolerant of others. So many positives they taught us - taught us how important it was to try even over how well you did - encourage anything we showed an interest in - supported us emotional and financial (even with as little money as they had) for college. How did my mom and dad know so much with such little education? I think it really amazing.

And now they still help us. My parents now retired care for their grandchildren while we work. There really is no way to repay this sort of heroism.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 07:36 am
My hero is my grandfather. His kindness is unending. His community involvment and commitment to helping others seems tireless. He has been a major player in 4-H, locally and nationally or over 50 years. He has served the university extension service well.

He is soft spoken, caring and full of wisdom. He has high morals that he patiently passed on to his grandchildren.

He gave great "Horsey rides" and wrestled with us when we were little, despite grandma's pleas to stop 'cause we were gonna break something. He let us ride on the wagon when he went to check the cattle. He cleared the Little River panels in a single bound when he heard me and my little sister screaming about a snake. When we unexpectely got to spend the night, he let us wear his pajama shirts to sleep in, and never complained about us being up late giggling.

And, he was my accomplice in candy dish invasions even when grandma had just said dinner would be ready in a few minutes.

I love my Grandpa. He is my hero.
0 Replies

quiet sunshine

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 06:56 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
bm

What's the meaning of "bm"?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 07:00 pm
Short for "bookmark."
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 07:00 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
bm

wow, mines batman too Very Happy
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 07:17 pm
quiet sunshine, welcome to A2K. Heroes aren't popular, my dear, that's what makes them heroes.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 07:51 pm
When I was in my teens, I had a hard time of it emotionally, with no one to talk to. A couple of three books gave me enough equilibrium to go on until I could manage myself. The books were, An Essay on Morals, Opus 21, and Generation of Vipers, all by Philip Wylie. Wylie became an unwitting father figure to me. I still revere his writing and consider him my hero.
0 Replies

quiet sunshine

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 08:09 pm
Letty wrote:
quiet sunshine, welcome to A2K.

Thank you. Smile
Quote:
Heroes aren't popular, my dear, that's what makes them heroes.

I mean I wonder which kind of hero is venerated by more people in western countries, for example, here in China many people's hero are politicians or national heroes, e.g. our Premier Zhou enlai.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 11:45 pm
I cannot chose just one.

First is my sister and second are my folks, not necessarily in any given order mind you.

So many reasons, so much gratitude.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Who's your hero?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/07/2024 at 12:22:20