Angies List and Home Advisory....Help!!!

Reply Sun 15 Sep, 2019 04:59 pm
When I first joined AL/HA I was able to view numerous businesses all by myself. Now, the site prompts me to describe my project, provide a phone number, email address and so on and so forth. What seems to happen now is as soon as I enter my information the phone rings and there is a person anxious to set up an appt. I don't want to waste anyones time, but if I hire the first person that calls....I don't have time to review the businesses and twice now, I wound up hiring a plumber who couldn't even install a faucet.

The thing that really frosts my globes is when I tell the anxious person I'm not quite ready to hire/set up appt...they get annoyed and tell me they pay those sites for leads. I understand they might be disappointed, but geez....I'm not obligated to hire these folks or to even ask them to come to my house.

I have also been checking the Yellow Pages online...and that seems to work better for me, although right now all I'm doing is collecting the names of businesses. It would be great to have a paper copy of listings to thumb through.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 389 • Replies: 5
No top replies

roger

Reply Sun 15 Sep, 2019 05:19 pm
@glitterbag,
Angie's List has been quite a disappointment to me. Last year, I asked for recommendations on window tinting. One was in Wisconsin. The other two were at least in NM, but none closer than 200 miles.

Still, she's quite eager to offer advice on landscaping, roofing, and who knows what.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 15 Sep, 2019 10:43 pm
@roger,
They even call me at home. "Hi, Im Joey from Angie's list, did your bathroom project come off alright? (Me) Huh, What? What bathroom project?
roger

Reply Sun 15 Sep, 2019 11:32 pm
@glitterbag,
They forgot me on that one - I think. If I answer the phone and it takes over about two seconds for a human voice to answer (pick up) I say something polite (of course) and hang up.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2019 01:19 pm
@glitterbag,
Do you have some sort of local network? Not sure if you have Nextdoor - not sure how prevalent it is. But I have this now - you can ask questions like that on it. Once you post you can select just your nearby neighborhood or even further neighborhoods.

We needed a plumber and wanted to use a trusted local person. I asked on there any suggestions and slam - I got several - some several people suggestion. I look up a couple to read reviews - hired one of the several that looked good - and got a reasonable price and nice service.

There is also stuff on there that would be helpful - like a lost pet, to if you have free stuff or want to sell something to recipes, etc.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2019 02:12 pm
@Linkat,
I'll look around, thanks for the suggestion. I am starting to hate Angie's List and Home Advisory because when you try to sift thru the information, providers seem to think they already have a contract....there is definitely a whiff of "You are wasting my time"...
0 Replies