Suggestions for Teen Summer Reading

izzythepush

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2019 12:48 pm
@Linkat,
That's a wise choice.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2019 01:09 pm
Not making too much of a judgment statement but am I the only one who's mildly disappointed that this book suggestion thread basically (for the most part) is a copy and paste of most other school based summer reading threads?
Sturgis

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2019 02:00 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
...The Hobbit.

Good. Now she gets to read it. (no cheating by watching any movie that might exist of the story)

How much time until the school year begins?
Sturgis

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2019 02:11 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
...copy and paste of most other ... summer reading threads?

Is it? have such happened here before? I have nary a clue.

M own picks were from my various reads of the past. Other than The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter, (which appeared years ago on my niece or nephew's summer options) I was unawares. My selection of The Heart...was because I enjoyed it (even in subsequent re-reading, which I've only done for about a dozen books...including the earlier listed Ethan Frome and How Green Was My Valley)
Linkat

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2019 08:40 am
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

Quote:
...The Hobbit.

Good. Now she gets to read it. (no cheating by watching any movie that might exist of the story)

School starts Aug 27th
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2019 11:20 am
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

Quote:
...copy and paste of most other ... summer reading threads?

Is it? have such happened here before? I have nary a clue.

To be fair, you had several examples I have never heard of before, let alone seen at a2k's bountiful field of reading threads.

Linkat wrote:

Sturgis wrote:

Quote:
...The Hobbit.

School starts Aug 27th

My deepest condolences to your daughter.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2019 11:34 am
@tsarstepan,
You have them.

Over here there's a complete change over the summer, when the kids come back they often have new teachers and in some cases ne subjects.

Trying to get kids to read over the Summer is a no brainer, you can make suggestions, and some kids do read, but homework? Forget it.

They won't do it because there's a good chance they'll have a different teacher on return, and a new teacher isn't going to want to get off on a bad foot by chasing up historical homework.

As it is kid's performance drops over the Summer, and it usually takes until October to get them back up to scratch.

I used to tell the kids to read something they liked, if it was comics or magazines that's something, it may not be Thomas Hardy, (who I loathe btw,) but at least it's reading.

I live in Hardy's Wessex although at the moment everyone is banging on about Jane Austen, some anniversary going on, and she's on the tenner.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 11:32:26