Joint Legal Custody Question

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2019 10:47 am
Tomorrow I am supposed to go to court mediation to request for joint legal custody. Mother currently has sole legal custody. The judge said during my last court date 7 months ago that if I show that I’m consistent even though me and my child lives in 2 different states, then my case will be heard. Since my last court date 7 months ago, I’ve been visiting my daughter once a month. Anyway, my daughter’s health insurance is through the mom. If I’m asking for joint legal custody, do I need to also have health insurance for my daughter? Like will they deny my request if I don’t have health insurance for my daughter?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 376 • Replies: 3
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2019 10:59 am
@Nevergiveup28,
Wait? Wait! Wait!
Your last court date was 7 months ago. And your next date is tomorrow. So? That means you had 7 months to get a family law attorney? And you're now asking for legal advice from a place that has NO LEGAL EXPERTS that can legally provide law advice to you here. See the site's Terms of Service you had to claim to have read prior to starting your account here.

Quote:
D. THIS SERVICE DOES NOT PROVIDE PROFESSIONAL LEGAL ADVICE. All of the services' content, including postings, is for informational purposes only. The service is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal advice, and no attorney/client privilege is to be inferred from any postings herein. Always seek the advice of a qualified legal professional with questions you have regarding a legal matter. You should not disregard professional legal advice because of something you have received from or read in the able2know service.

This is worse than waiting to write a 25 page paper for a college class and waiting to start on Midnight of the day it is due.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2019 01:27 pm
@Nevergiveup28,
You really should have lawyer. This is pretty important. Sometimes you can get a lawyer to advise you without representing you. You have to pay per hour (the cheapest is $100/hour) but it wouldn't be that many hours to get much needed advice.

To answer the question about health insurance... It doesn't make sense for both parents to buy health insurance for the child (a child only needs to be covered once). In my case I provide the health insurance. This is part of our parenting agreement.

Is the court working with you? If you ask for help with parenting resources, it might help.

maxdancona

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2019 01:33 pm
@maxdancona,
I am curious... why are you focusing on the "legal custody" (you don't need to answer this if it is too personal)?

Legal custody is the least important issue in my experience. Other than deciding where my daughter will go to school (which ended up being something we agreed about), and an brief disagreement about vaccinations (where I drew the line and her mother backed down)... legal custody isn't very important.

Far more important is the amount of time you can spend being a father to your daughter. You don't have many years to build this bond. Once they become teenagers... the issue of custody becomes less and less important (my daughter now decides for herself what she wants to do with which parent).

Make sure you can have as much quality time with your daughter as you can. During this time be a father, focus on your daughter, care for her, help her, do things that she likes to do.

There isn't that much time you get raising a child. Make sure whatever happens with legal custody that you make the most of this time.

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Joint Legal Custody Question
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 05:28:59