Wiring for smart switches/sockets

AcTech

Reply Wed 10 Jul, 2019 07:16 pm
Hi,
I am wondering if anybody can give me an advice regarding smart switch/sockets wiring for the new build.

Spoke to the electrical consultant of the building company and found out the following:
1. They cannot install smart switches we want, so we will need to put them after handover. This is not a big issue since the smart devices we want are the same form factor.
2. Neutral wire. The builder’s electrician cannot install neutral wire. What they can do is to put conduit. That’s what concerns me.
3. After handover, we will hire an electrician who will put a neutral wire in every switch and replace standard switches.

Yes, there are smart switches with batteries working from 2 wires. Just trying do not limit the options at the moment.

I am not sure if builder’s suggestion is a feasible approach, considering how many switches/sockets we have. Can anybody please comment on it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 479 • Replies: 2
No top replies

engineer

Reply Thu 11 Jul, 2019 06:49 am
@AcTech,
I think the contractor is feeding you a line. Even if they do not hook them up, they should be able to run unused wire for you to access at your leisure. Running wire after construction is complete is a lot harder. I would challenge their statement to the point of going with a different contractor if you can't get what you want.
AcTech

Reply Thu 11 Jul, 2019 08:04 pm
@engineer,
Thanks for that. Even with my limited knowledge it felt strange. Will be clarifying from the builder.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Wiring for smart switches/sockets
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 02:00:46