unwearable skirt, full of holes, how to reuse?

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2019 02:43 pm
a skirt that i have was worn out fast, but according to many sites, i shouldn't just throw clothes away. it's a big waist and what it took to make it is more. i really like skirts and i don't like just trashing them either. so, any ideas on how to reuse my old, warn (beyond wear) long skirt?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 878 • Replies: 22
No top replies

glitterbag

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2019 02:47 pm
@InButNotOf,
How about wearing another skirt on top of it, that way you won't notice the holes.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2019 02:49 pm
@InButNotOf,
Full of holes eh, i'm thinking bagpipes.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSmbWMPHVH906rzWcqQua7F3AXKcoDPsyif_olStYHRLIvgkj-4

''What say ye Lassie''
InButNotOf

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2019 02:59 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
it wouldn't be really all that useful seeing i have no desire to use those things, plus they sound terrible (in my opinion) ps my name is not Lassie
0 Replies

InButNotOf

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2019 03:01 pm
@glitterbag,
good idea, and i may do this indeed, but anything else? make it for another purpose (without cutting, sewing, or dismantling)

i'd prefer to use it in the form it is now
glitterbag

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2019 03:04 pm
@InButNotOf,
Well, you could rub dirt all over your hair and face, make a sign that says "I have no money to feed my children", wear that skirt and beg on the street.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2019 03:12 pm
(please tell me this thread isn't being censored)
0 Replies

farmerman

@glitterbag,
look up Gees Bend Quilts, they are really something. They were made of left over chunks of dungaree, sugar bags, fabric nd hunk of sail cloth.
The works of art that were created are outstanding.

Gees Bend.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

@InButNotOf,
Cut off the bottom to your desired length. Use the excess as ruffles, layered over the base.
farmerman

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2019 03:15 pm
@neptuneblue,
      https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHb5ajBX1LNClilqUhRVOZNlkigVwyNK5nwxZ2yNW6UrHuN5NpHBO1wJKN63h9OLYr3svFNXyN&usqp=CAc                                        IS THIS COOL OR WHAT??
neptuneblue

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2019 03:19 pm
@farmerman,
Um,

That's nice, dear.

What is it?
InButNotOf

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2019 04:02 pm
@glitterbag,
do you delight in lies?
i don't therefore i will not
do that because 1, i have no children,
and 2, i am not a beggar
jespah

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2019 04:57 pm
@InButNotOf,
If you give it to charity, they'll probably turn it to rags, as a garment with holes isn't saleable in second-hand shops and they (likely) won't send it off to a third world country.

So why not do that, and cut it into rags?
InButNotOf

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2019 05:09 pm
@jespah,
good idea
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2019 05:39 pm
@InButNotOf,
InButNotOf wrote:

do you delight in lies?
i don't therefore i will not
do that because 1, i have no children,
and 2, i am not a beggar

I apologize, I thought you were joking.

I have done a lot of volunteer work for organizations that accept clothing for resale and I know that too often well meaning people donate clothing that is unusable. What happens is that the volunteers have to take time to seperate and dispose of those unusable items. It takes time away from actually helping those who need help, thats why I didn't suggest donating to a charity.

I'm not handy in taloring clothing, so I don't have any useful tips.

0 Replies

InButNotOf

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2019 05:45 pm
@farmerman,
how do you insert images to a reply (or on a new forum)? i'm new to this site
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2019 06:10 pm
@InButNotOf,

i answered your topic --

https://able2know.org/topic/521928-1#post-6863609
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2019 07:13 pm
@neptuneblue,
Its a quilt. Gee's Bend is an area in South Carolina that some of the Gullah folks lived and their folk art quilts are as unique as the Compass quilts of New ENgland, orPa Dutch Bar quilts orBaltimore Bible Quilts.

The only thing is that the Gee's Bend quilts were discovered much more recently than the others
roger

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2019 07:17 pm
@InButNotOf,
More of a possibility than a suggestion, but I know a lady on a different forum that bought a pair of thrift store pants and used them to cover a bicycle basket. It was one of those wire things that small things could fall out of. She sacrificed the legs, and it looked pretty good.

I doubt you have the same problem to solve, but that may get you to thinking of completely different uses.
InButNotOf

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2019 12:37 pm
@roger,
this is the different veriaty of uses i'm asking for. not just rewearing and rags (with that said, i did find 2 purposes for 2 skirts that were warn one of which was the one i was asking about)
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » unwearable skirt, full of holes, how to reuse?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 04:54:05