US tortures Afghan, presumed innocent, to death

dlowan

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 10:16 am
OK - looking at their web stuff - nothing in Top news - searching...

Nothing in politics -

Nothing - checking their online home...

Nothing.

What a surprise.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 10:18 am
sozobe wrote:
#3 in "More News" after Kylie Minogue's surgery on CNN...

#2 in "More Top Stories" after Mary Kay LeTourneau's nuptials on MSNBC

Similar on ABC news homepage.

All of these emphasize Karzai's shock at the "alleged" abuses.

Couldn't find aything on CBS or Fox news homepages.

A simple explanation, apart from the obvious one, is as banal as it is discouraging: no video, no story. No photos, no story. Remember how it took a while before the Abu Ghraib story finally broke through to the frontpages? It wouldnt ever have gotten there if there hadnt been pictures.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 10:21 am
But dlowan, you gotta understand ... there's a liberal bias to the US press, a liberal bias. They hate America! They're always on the lookout for some way to blast the Prez!

Thats why they prefer Kylie over an innocent taxidriver tortured to death by American troops.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 10:21 am
More surprises - Bush's comment. This is from the Australian Broadcasting Corporation:

"US probes Afghan prisoner deaths
The White House says investigations are under way into prisoner abuse by US soldiers in Afghanistan.

White House spokesman Trent Duffy said the matter is "being investigated thoroughly".

Two Afghan prisoners held in a US-run prison in Bagram were tortured to death by American soldiers in 2002, The New York Times reported on Friday, citing a 2,000-page file on the US Army's criminal investigation of the case.

Asked about the report, President George W Bush did not respond directly.

"I think the world ought to be - pay attention to the contrast between a society which was run by a brutal tyrant in which there was no transparency and a society in which the whole world watches a government find the facts, lay the facts out for the citizens to see, and that punishment, when appropriate, be delivered," Mr Bush said.

"I'm comfortable that we're getting to the bottom of the situation and I know we're doing so in a transparent way. Obviously, ours is a country that respects human rights and human dignity, and if those rights and dignity have been denied, we will hold people to account."

Mr Duffy also said people will be held accountable for their actions.

"There are criminal investigations going on right now about what this newspaper article discusses," he said.

"People are being held to account. People that did the offensive acts in Abu Ghraib are being sentenced and will serve some time for what they did."

-AFP
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 10:23 am
sozobe wrote:
Couldn't find anything on the Fox site.

Couldn't find anything on the CBS site, though, either. :-? (It's pretty much expected of Fox, more worrisome to me that CBS is such a nervous nelly about it.)

I have got to get that dang Kitty Kelley book - she seems to have an idea that may apply here

Quote:
In a biting new afterword in the paperback version, Kelley observes that much of the mainstream press turned against her because "I had broken the personal code of poodles on the Potomac: Do not speak ill of the powerful."

CNN's Larry King was more frank about his snub than many of the others -- he made it clear he wanted to keep his friendship with former president George Herbert Walker Bush.

She feels that the urge to please is so overwhelming in the insider media because President Bush disdains them and makes it so difficult for them to do their job.

"He has doghoused the White House press corps so that they are almost totally dependent on scraps tossed over the fence by presidential spokesmen," she writes.

White House flacks called television show executives to keep her off the air. Only NBC Today agreed to interview her, but the host, Matt Lauer, deliberately demonstrated that he didn't like doing so.

Kelley says Lauer hadn't read the book and admitted being in touch with senior White House officials who hadn't read the book either.

Lauer repeatedly asked Kelley for whom she had voted, as though he thought voting terribly important.

Yet when she checked, she found that Lauer himself was not recorded on the voting lists in New York City, where he lives.

An equally negative New York Times reporter asked her if she had had an abortion or did cocaine. She adds that "I was sermonized by Lauer, patronized by CNN's Aaron Brown, and chastised by MSNBC's Chris Matthews."

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/opinion/225163_means22.html
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 10:24 am
fabbo. We're better than a ruthless dictator who murdered thousands - at least - of his own people.

Yep - you are.

I suspect a higher standard than better than your discarded bully boy ought to be aimed at, son.

Lol - Nimh - we are CERTAINLY seeing the US media just lusting to sock it to the Bush government on this one. They are all over it.

Not.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 10:25 am
Poodles on the Potomac . . . that was priceless . . .
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 10:26 am
Exactly, nimh.
If the anti-Bush U.S. mainstream media isn't all over this, who is?

ehBeth wrote:
Is this getting coverage in the general ( famously left wing) MSM in the U.S.?

(they also don't seem to have noticed the disappearance of the Galloway materials)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 10:51 am
Just made Yahoo top stories, again with an emphasis on Karzai's shock.

Quote:
Karzai said he was "shocked" by allegations of abuse by poorly trained U.S. soldiers made by the New York Times in its Friday edition.

So now the allegations are being made BY the New York Times. Hmm.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 10:53 am
It's amazing to see how the news gets twisted and twisted further and further as it goes along.

I can only hope Monday is a baaaad day for ol' Scott Mclellan over this one. Ever since the reporters weren't warned of the 'terror alert' the other day in Washington, they've been riding him pretty hard.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 10:57 am
None of the usuals have shown up to defend this, call the reports lies, or outright say that they don't have a problem with torturing people that aren't US citizens....odd that.....
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 11:04 am
Oh, they will, dont worry ... if the story actually starts making it to the "MSM". Until such time ignoring will do fine for most, I suppose.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 11:07 am
sozobe wrote:
Quote:
Karzai said he was "shocked" by allegations of abuse by poorly trained U.S. soldiers made by the New York Times in its Friday edition.

So now the allegations are being made BY the New York Times. Hmm.

Yeah. Note also how the "poorly trained" thing kind of transforms from an indictment (as in the NYT story) to something sounding more like a sort of pre-emptive excuse...

Might be an unfortunate side-effect of elliptic summarising, I suppose - or the expression of an instinctive defensive/apologetic reaction.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 11:13 am
sozobe wrote:
Just made Yahoo top stories, again with an emphasis on Karzai's shock.

Quote:

http://www.meredy.com/clauderains/rains04.jpg
Capt. Karzai: "I'm shocked, SHOCKED to discover that there is torture going on here!"
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 11:14 am
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7923756/

yes, looks like it's breaking out....the usuals will think about how to spin it for awhile and then they'll be arriving....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 11:15 am
OMG, i laughed loudly and long at that one . . . you are in rare form, indeed, today, Joe . . .
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 11:18 am
It would actually be satisfying on some level to see the way things are falling apart for the bushmafia if it wasn't we regular folks who were going to end up bearing the brunt of the consequences for their actions
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 11:27 am
It hasn't made breaking news for the Freepers yet.

They're working on

Quote:
NY Times: Qaeda Letters Are Said to Show Pre-9/11 Anthrax Plans! [5/21/2005]

Iraqi Army opens Ground Forces Command Headquarters

N. Korea: Senate panel eyes Japan nuke option to press China on N. Korea test

Army Policy Unobserved - House passes Law: No women in combat or combat support

New Mexico Capitol Evacuated After Governor's Office Gets Suspicious Package

Bush warns veto on stem cell bill

LIVE SENATE THREAD: Day 3 - Judicial nominations - Cloture coming today? C-span 2 - 9:45am EST

Democrats Thought it was Improper to Filibuster Judicial Nominees

(DAY-2) LIVE U.S. SENATE "Nuclear" THREAD: for judicial nominations: C-span 2 - 9:30 am EST

O'Malley accuses Ehrlich of smear campaign

A Message From PepsiCo's President & CFO, Indra Nooyi(America Basher Responds To Pressure)
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 11:30 am
Setanta wrote:
OMG, i laughed loudly and long at that one . . . you are in rare form, indeed, today, Joe . . .

Thank you, thank you, you've been a great audience. I'll be here all week. Try the veal. And remember to tip your waitresses.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 11:35 am
That's just it, things aren't falling apart for the bushmafia. A story gets out, a lot of talk around the world and then the spin comes in and then it goes away. In the end very little comes of these things. They get their way about everything in the end. And we Americans just keep electing these guys and then griping about it. It is just a big mystery.
0 Replies