I let my fingers do the walkin' on the telephone man

boomerang

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 03:19 pm
Thanks Joe! Your story-posts are always like getting a suprise little gift.

I was thinking about fishin's post when I came across an ad for a new hospital lighting system that Philips is working on.

Pretty cool:

http://www.medical.philips.com/us/company/assets/images/imagination2.jpg
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 03:21 pm
Hmm. The photo without the text just looks like a mural or something.

The system allows a variety of "murals" to be displayed -- patient's choice of wall design.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 04:49 pm
http://frames.barewalls.com/frames/bw/61/61105,61202,61602/8/10/closeup/p10923_glossyc.jpg

I recall seeing a copy of Popular Science (i think it was) in the 50's which discussed the laughable predictions for the future which were made at the time of the New York World's Fair in 1939. A few years later, i saw a copy of that or a similar magazine in which it was seriously predicted that within 30 years, we would all have private helicopter-like vehicles, and quite a few other fancy gadgets (the helicopters stuck in my mind, because i thought that would be so cool). However, by the time i was in my 20's i had realized that all such predictions have a value approximately equal to what you paid for the magazine.

I've run across a few ideas in science fiction, of which i was once greatly enamored, which have become reality--card readers which respond to plastic cards, getting money (invariably referred to in the literature as "credits") in that manner, or using the cards to pay for one's purchases. But by and large, such predictions are usually products of a vivid imagination, which is nevertheless insufficiently vivid to actually think up the new ideas and products which will populate the future.

I've seen the realization of exactly one cogent prediction of its type--and even that has not turned out as the author likely thought. Warhol said: "In the future everybody will be world famous for fifteen minutes." It has entered the language in the form of "his/her fifteen minutes of fame." But even that is not actually a prediction, as much as it has become self-fulfilling prophecy. Nowadays, almost everybody (not me, sister) wants to be world famous for fifteen minutes . . . if not longer . . .
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 02:51 pm
Ack! I do not understand the quest for celebrity. I prefer to be wallpaper.

I remember my parents making us all get out of bed to watch the moon landing on TV. "This was science fiction when I was a kid" whispered my otherwise speechless mom.

Dreaming something up is a tiny little step to getting there and not many dreams come true.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/06/2024 at 10:20:36