Some observations on Trick or Treating

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2002 09:39 pm
1. In the 31 years since we bought our first home in suburbia, the number of trick or treaters has gone from huge masses to maybe 20 or 30 on a lovely fall day. It is, I suppose, a sign of the times.

2. I was glad to see that there was an adult with each group of kids who came to the door today.

3. It occurs to me that I can not ever expect the neighborhood children to refrain from walking across my lawn when the adult(s) with them also walk directly across the grass instead of using the sidewalk and/or driveway.

4. Since our neighbors in the rear, with their two teenagers and one pre-teen, moved away, we had hardly any bands of shaving cream covered, egg throwing teenagers walking down the middle of the street. It was a nice change over recent years.

5. One little boy (maybe 3) was quite adorable in his puppy dog costume. But it made me sad when he rejected my Reese's Peanut Butter Cup with "I don't eat chocolate."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,592 • Replies: 18
No top replies

roger

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2002 09:46 pm
If he wouldn't eat Reeses's Peanut Butter Cups, maybe he should have come as an alien.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2002 09:47 pm
Babysoz had her first trick-or-treating adventure today. She was a bunny fairy, by request, and was illegally adorable. White fleece bunny outfit with wings attached (handpainted Chinese rice paper dragonfly wings, from a kite, which I laminated), etc. She LOVED it. (She's a total ham.)
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2002 09:48 pm
This is true, roger. I felt so bad for him -- he obviously had no idea what he's missing. Poor kid. Made me feel bad I didn't have an alternative like Chuckles or something.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2002 09:50 pm
Is babysoz allowed to eat chocolate? I sure hope so. It occurs to me that letting your kid trick or treat and not eat chocolate is mean.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2002 09:50 pm
I had the exact same number of kids show up this year as I did last year - 6. Yeah, 6!

Now I have 3 extra bags of Reese's Peanut Butter cups that I'm just going to have to eat by myself... No time like the present.. Smile
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2002 09:51 pm
Precisely why I buy them to give out -- and why I always buy plenty. Love the left overs.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2002 09:52 pm
She's allowed to eat chocolate, BUT, except for the occasional chocolate chip cookie (like, 3 times in her life), this was the first time she had pure, unadulterated chocolate. M&M's and Twix, to be precise.

To say she liked it is rather an understatement. (She signs, and I got a picture of her saying "DELICIOUS!")
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2002 09:57 pm
Best part of Abuzz - Sister nu shooz's halloween.

http://nytimes.abuzz.com/interaction/s.299667/discussion
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2002 09:57 pm
Smart babysoz!!!! And, she has good taste, too. Just like Mom.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2002 10:08 pm
Smile Bandylu.

Thanks roger! Watching nu shooz' transformation into a mother has been fun. Posted there.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2002 11:33 pm
sozobe

What a wonderful post! Please kiss bunny fairy for me. My girl is 19 and if I try to kiss her I'll get slugged.
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2002 09:05 pm
I took my 8-year-old princess out in our rural area while my wife held the fort. Where we live in NH, it's like the 50s - the biggest problem we have is the yearly toilet papering of the trees in the town common. I came to NH in the early 70s to get experience in teaching so I could return to Mass., but something went terribly right; I've been here ever since. It's not for everyone, but I love it.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2002 09:26 pm
Bermbits, you are in God's Little Green Acre, one of the most beautiful spots in this big, wide country, just enjoy it!

I've been to NH a few times, it is heaven on earth:)
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 08:56 pm
Is there anybody besides me absolutely hate it when teenagers come to the door, without a costume on 'trick or treating'?

I think it's ridiculous.
0 Replies

seibentage

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 09:27 pm
You see when teenagers come to the door for trick-or-treating i don't give them the good candy, i give them the stuff that i don't like so i won't eat it and it is not wasting the candy. Revenge is sweet. Laughing
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 09:41 pm
You've been resurrecting some interesting ones, Reyn. Now I miss bandylu!!! Maybe she'll get an update?

(This one's so old sozlet was still "babysoz" -- aw....)
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 08:57 am
My "princess" from above is now 11! Time flies!
I am going to go naked this year wearing only roller skates - I'm gonna be a pull toy! (That's the cleanest one I can offer here....)
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 09:27 am
sozobe wrote:
You've been resurrecting some interesting ones, Reyn.

I have the urge now and again... Laughing
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Some observations on Trick or Treating
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/08/2024 at 05:02:13