Why is violence seen as 'cool'?

Algis Kemezys

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 08:41 pm
Your really a cool aid Gargamel.
0 Replies

Tyrius

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 08:47 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Violent rap lyrics, the whole gangsta bling thing, graphic video and computer games fully available to children, parents not knowing what their kids are up to, and not teaching them morals or setting firm boundaries, laws that seem to protect the rights of offenders more than their victims, too much paperwork for the police, thereby keeping them off the streets where they should be, the list goes on really.

Something needs to be done in a big way to nip this in the bud.

Its not JUST rap lyrics, violence is also present in some forms of rock. With guys i think the whole idea of killings someone or shooting a gun makes you more of man, and this is why guys we like violence.
0 Replies

tommrr

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 08:58 pm
Quote:
Its not JUST rap lyrics, violence is also present in some forms of rock. With guys i think the whole idea of killings someone or shooting a gun makes you more of man, and this is why guys we like violence

Its truly a sad time if that is what one thinks that is what makes someone a man.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 09:02 pm
Someone should make a hit rap song about all good things.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 09:03 pm
smorgs wrote:
At the moment happy slapping seems confined to boys...but hey, it won't take long

No, I'm afraid this sort of behaviour is not gender specific. We've had a very high profile case going here in British Columbia where a girl was murdered by 6 girls. It's quite sad. See below:

May 18, 2005

Ellard's lawyer plans appeal

VANCOUVER (CP) - The lawyer for Kelly Ellard says he will appeal her second-degree murder conviction in the beating death of Reena Virk in 1997.

"I'll appeal," lawyer Peter Wilson said Wednesday, although he would not discuss the basis for an appeal. Ellard was scheduled to be sentenced Thursday at a hearing that was initially scheduled for last month but was delayed.

Her conviction for second-degree murder means an automatic life term but what the sentencing determines is the length of time she must be in custody before she can apply for parole.

When a jury found her guilty last month, it made no recommendation to the judge on parole eligibility.

Ellard was found guilty in her third trial for the 1997 beating and drowning of Virk, a horrific attack in Victoria that focused a national spotlight on teen violence.

The 22-year-old has already spent about 2 1/2 years in prison.

She was found guilty by a jury in her first trial in 2000 but the verdict was overturned and a new trial ordered because an appeal court found she had been improperly cross-examined. In the second trial last summer, the jury was unable to reach a verdict after five days of deliberations.

Wilson said after the verdict that he was planning to appeal.

Ellard has been one of the most well-known figures in B.C.'s judicial system since the night of Nov. 14, 1997, when a swarm of girls attacked 14-year-old Virk under a bridge in suburban Victoria.

The bloodied Virk staggered from beneath the Craigflower Bridge after the beating and, according to witnesses at the trials, was followed across the structure by Ellard and Warren Glowatski.

Glowatski was convicted in 1999 of second-degree murder in Virk's beating and drowning death and is serving a life sentence at the minimum-security Ferndale Institution in the Fraser Valley.

His application last fall for day parole was turned down by the National Parole Board.

Six girls - most of whom testified at all the trials - were convicted in 1998 of assaulting Virk. They cannot be named due to provisions of the Young Offenders Act.

SOURCE
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 05:37 am
material girl wrote:
Its the 'its ok, if your a policeman driving like a loony on a public road then its ok for boyracers to do the same' message!!!!

grrrrrr, Im in a rage.Its friday, why am I stressing??!!

If it makes you feel better I'm having a row in two police forums about that bloody idiot. But I think I'm winning :wink:
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 06:42 am
Now this is a song about all things good
Pleasant driving habits and stopping at the signs
Keeping ones garbage together
and following municipal rules.
Going to school
and gettin good grades
standing down the bully
and washing the family car
Give up the TV clicker and help mom after supper
Vacuum the house and run the dog often.
Listen to music from the 70ties and 80ties
Helppen the elderly always crossing the street
Make good apple pies or whatever your heart likes
and give them to the homeless and those outta site
Read each day the paper
Fell and say inside
today I'll do a bit better
cause good is continuous and alive.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 06:44 am
OK maybe thats not so good but it as off the top of my head.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 07:02 am
I like it. In fact I like it a lot.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 07:13 am
I like it to!

x
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 07:13 am
I like it too!

x
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 04:40:51