Who is THIS Caroline? WTF do you have to do with sporting events?

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2019 12:28 pm
I often wondered why Neil Diamond's Sweet Caroline was played at Fenway Stadium in Boston. For a long time, I assumed that Neil Diamond had some connection with Boston and left it at that. Then I started hearing it at Yankee Stadium (and I might be misremembering it... at Citifield as well).

It just played on the radio this afternoon, so I was finally motivated enough ... to check the wiki page on the song. It looks like MANY sports teams have adopted the song as a truly unoriginal anthem (sick burn if I don't say so myself!)

CONSPIRACY THEORIES WELCOMED!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 328 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2019 01:40 pm
@tsarstepan,
My theory is that Neil Diamond...who was born and mostly raised in Brooklyn, New York, found a way to make extra money off the song by reminding people that he wrote the song for Caroline Kennedy and how the Kennedy family has a long time history with the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Since there's just one Major League baseball team in the Commonwealth and it's in Boston, he sold them on that.

In this time of healing for David 'Big Papi ' Ortiz, perhaps Diamond will pen a new song in his honor and to help him to a rapid recovery.
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2019 01:54 pm
@Sturgis,

would rather hear about Caroline than Crackling Rosie, who may or may not be on fire...
Sturgis

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2019 02:26 pm
@Region Philbis,
I believe Crackling Rosie was used for Pete Rose out in Cincinnati when he got a homerun.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2019 01:10 am
My maternal grandparents used to live next to Goole FC's ground. Goole play in the Northern Counties East League Premier Division so they're pretty famous.

http://d2dzjyo4yc2sta.cloudfront.net/?url=images.pitchero.com%2Fclub_logos%2F3081%2FcYbfUDjNSUmk0GQsAhLH_45251D77-28BB-4D11-B617-121D7A716FAC.png&bg=fff&w=1200&h=630&t=frame

Every Saturday they would play loud popular music that was at least 20 years old. I remember hearing the Mighty Quinn over and over again.

Maybe it's cheaper, or sports fans prefer nostalgia or something else.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2019 12:03 pm
@izzythepush,
The Diamond song has also been adopted by soccer clubs in the UK.
Quote:
The song is popular in Britain and has also been adopted by Reading F.C., Arsenal, AFC Bournemouth, Saracens F.C., Oxford United and Bradford City.[39] Northern Ireland national football team fans (the Green And White Army) have also adopted the song. It is also played by the Castleford Tigers rugby league club before matches at the Mend-A-Hose Jungle, following a surprise last-minute victory against the Wigan Warriors in the 2014 Super League season.[40]
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Who is THIS Caroline? WTF do you have to do with sporting events?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 04:29:28