Looking for a durable laptop.

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2019 04:44 am
I have a history of laptops breaking due to hardware failure-- usually it's something along the lines of the power jack getting destroyed, or the battery frying itself for no good reason. My current laptop is on its very last legs-- it's been affected in such away that trying to adjust the screen using the left side of the monitor will result in it shutting off nine times out of ten, regardless of whether or not it's plugged in. And that's on top of the software issues it has-- its processor gets clogged up with stuff like superfetch no matter how many times I shut down those processes or operations, it can take upwards of five minutes to wake up from a cold boot state, the login screen randomly crashes and doesn't give the prompt to actually log in, and it's just an overall mess.

I don't care about OS, or whether I can play games on it, any of that. I just want a model that won't burst into flames within a year and a half.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 381 • Replies: 3
No top replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2019 07:19 am
@TrevorNoah,
You should look for some of the heavy duty laptops like the Dell Latitude 14 Rugged Extreme.

Also, your show is very biased and I have had to stop watching it.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2019 07:29 am
@TrevorNoah,
I don't know if I can answer this question ... but you're missing a tad too much context.

1. What were the brands of laptops have previously owned? Especially the ones that died ... in relative short lives? Are you buying the cheapest laptops available, with the lowest tech specs, and are in no way possibly upgradeable because they're factory sealed from the start?
2. Are all of your computers dying on or before the year and a half mark?

You mention superfetching as a problem. Are you sufficiently buying laptops with more than sufficient specs and not overwhelming cheaper models with apps and programs that the laptop was never meant to run in the first place? Or if they could run them... can only run them at suboptimized/underwhelming results?

Do you run diagnostic and optimizing programs to clean up your system ... possibly burdened by adware, spyware, and useless programs that may run in the background that you willingly uploaded but don't need or use anymore?
0 Replies

seac

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2019 07:52 pm
@TrevorNoah,
I have a HP Pavilion g6 Notebook PC which I rescued from the recycling bin. It had a virus that froze the screen. I restored it to factory settings and it has been working very well for over 5 years now. I also have a refurbished Lenovo ThinkPad and a refurbished HP Compaq 8510p which I purchased off ebay, these two are not that good, they heat up excessively while on.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Looking for a durable laptop.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 08:33:38