An old railroad shovel

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2019 05:28 pm
An old flathead railroad shovel with the Letter L and R on the top of the shovel head I need more info about this shovel I bought it for 15$ did I come out on top?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 154 • Replies: 4
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2019 07:02 pm
@I need to Know,
usually, in good shape, they will sell for about 25 to 35 dollars (US). Is it the "D" headed coal shovel? Is the shovel end in good shape? Sometimes theyve been torn and then repaired by soldering a rod along the tear. Repaired ones can actually be worth more because of the workmanship.

The letters (I assume its along the wooden handle) were probably carved in there by some fireman or Gandy dancer who was topping off the coal tender.

Ive got a few and since its not a hugely valuable artifact, I soaked the wooden handle in some ketone based wood hardener (Not the kind thats like Elmers Glue). The ketone hardeners are HDPE and this
plastic sets among the wood fibres and keeps it from dry rotting if it got wet and the wooden handle seems "punky".
Hardeners will also dress it up without changing its color or structure. it wont give the wood a high gloss either.

The metal is usually a rolled steel and just keep it from rusting too badly. STABILIZE this , dont paint it with black paint
izzythepush

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2019 09:42 am
@farmerman,
Quote:

**** off a shovel

Very Fast.

In the days when trains had a driver and a fireman to load coal and it was necessary to answer a call of nature you would **** on the coal shovel and then throw it in the fire as quick as possible because of smell and hygiene. As the shovel had coal dust on it, the **** did not stick. Interestingly the same shovel could be cleaned with steam and could be used to cook bacon and eggs.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=****%20off%20a%20shovel

Yummy.
0 Replies

I need to Know

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2019 09:50 am
@farmerman,
Yes it has a wooden D handle and it's in perfect shape
farmerman

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2019 10:08 am
@I need to Know,
The most I spent was 30 bucks. So If the fireman was Casey Jones helper, its in that range.
Any documentation?
One of the shovels I have was from a place called "Duffy's Cut" and was used to feed the engine that brought in track and ties.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » An old railroad shovel
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 05:45:10