Petition to Bush to indict Saddam
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,173 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 11:07 am
littlek- Interesting idea, which probably has a lot of merit. The only problem is that Hussein is only the tip of the iceberg. Getting him out of power will not stop terrorism, it will only cut off one source of money for the terrorists.

It might just be a good start though!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 11:12 am
I still don't think the Saddam issue is one primarily of terrorism. My problem is more about the innocent life lost during a war agaisnt him and his men.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 11:22 am
If he's indicted, there remain two problems: who is expected to serve the papers, and how do we bring him to trial.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 11:24 am
isn't there some sort of international crime group? He could be charged on war crimes and crimes against humanity. Does he have to be present to be tried?
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 11:30 am
Saddam, surely, deserves indictment, but this will not solve the problem. Iraq is not Yugoslavia. The latter is a European country, and public mentality there is closer to the "conventional" one than this of the Iraqis. Things he will be accused in may only increase his popularity. And even if his popularity really decreases (that does not seem probable) this will have no effect on stability of regime. Iraqi people do not replace him not because they like him and trust him: they are merely afraid to undertake any steps toward his removal. And their fear has real grounds: they way they will be treated will include intensive tortures prior to execution.
Saddam has proved his ability to defend his power against internal opposition, and he can be removed only by means of foreign intervention.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 11:31 am
I guess we could have some sort of symbolic trial. I don't see it affecting his popularity to any degree. Could the indictment survive a veto in the Security Council?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 11:33 am
do you think indictment by international trial would increase his popularity more or less than all-out american-led military force would?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 11:37 am
No change. It's as low as it can get, except for a few like minded dictators.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 11:40 am
You think? I think he'll be martyred in the eyes of the terrorist-minded.
0 Replies