Should an avatar ever be retired?

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 09:10 pm
This question actually came up on another forum after a rather troublesome character left. It was decided just seeing his avatar evoked feelings of annoyance in people and it should be removed forever from the selection. However, on this forum you have experienced the untimely death of a much loved member and he also seemed to be associated with a particular avatar. Would people consider it proper to retire the design in memory so it could not be used by another? Sort of like retiring a sports hero's number. Any thoughts on this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 617 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 09:17 pm
no
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 09:21 pm
From my limited understanding there is no way you could actually do it. The image is out there, anyone can grab it and turn it into their avatar.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 09:24 pm
Interesting question. Of course, you are referring to generic avatars provided by the forum. Some of the avatars are used by several people and you have to check the name to be sure who it is. These people do not necessarily evoke any particular feeling...just confusion.

Many, like myself, produce our own unique avatar. Sometimes we even change it frequently.

I can certainly appreciate the pain and loss that you, and others, feel (I did not know him, but I have read of him and his posts) for your departed friend, but I also feel that it may not be fair to those who are using that particular avatar to have to give it up. When a sports jersey is retired, it does not simply disappear... it hangs in a place of honour for all to see.

The more I type, the more undecided I become. My wavering answer would lean towards the no.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 09:25 pm
I just meant from the selection within a forum. I know if someone wanted to search the web they could probably find it and use it again.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 09:28 pm
Green Witch wrote:
I just meant from the selection within a forum. I know if someone wanted to search the web they could probably find it and use it again.

If it could be determined who all are now using it, and if they were asked if they would change their avatar, and if all agreed..... remove it
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 09:30 pm
what Intrepid said

who was it?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 09:46 pm
Yes, I think that would be a nice tribute to Cav. It would greatly disturb many of us to see anyone else use that particular avatar here.

Several other avatars have become so closely associated with certain posters that it is almost unconceivable that anyone else would use them here. Take dlowan's smoking bunny, for instance.

There's an almost inexhaustable supply of artwork that can be turned into avatars. No need to keep using the same ones over and over.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 09:48 pm
Eva wrote:
There's an almost inexhaustable supply of artwork that can be turned into avatars. No need to keep using the same ones over and over.

That's true. get with the times when the avatars get updated, but of course, this is to each his own. I love my seal.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 09:49 pm
I do agree on the Cav or anyone once else like that out of respect .
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 04:46 am
I can see retiring certain avatars, but not very often. I suppose it depends on what it is and who has been using it.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 06:12 am
I know some people on the site whose avatars I'd like to see retired at once.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 06:27 am
You'll never take me alive! . . . Bwoo-ha-ha-HA-ha!

<meep>

<meep>
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 08:51 am
Laughing funny, Code of the Borg.

I keep my avatar because it is me, and I don't know about the troublesome person, Green Witch.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 09:00 am
I do think if I saw Cav's avatar being used by someone else it would remind me of Cav, but then it's not like it's a picture or photo of Cav himself. He was a one-of-a-kind but I wouldn't be overwrought if someone else used his avatar. I know if I was a newbie on a forum and the people there explained to me that I was using an avatar of a much-loved and lost friend, I would likely choose another or go find and personalize one for myself. I wouldn't like, however, to be dictated to (which I don't think you guys would do anyway). What would be terrible, would be if a complete jackass was using the "Cav" avatar (!)
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 09:09 am
Sounds like we should cross that bridge when . . . we . . . um, are there any bridges on A2K?

I happen to know somebody who can . . .
0 Replies

HappyMedium

. . . don't say it . . .
0 Replies

CodeBorg

. . . take care of bridges. :-)

Oh nevermind. I'm sure it'll all work out.
Newbies will figure it out.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Should an avatar ever be retired?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 04:26:55