What makes a thing funny?

Ethel2

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 09:30 am
I'm tired of talking politics all the time so let's do something fun. Blatham says there were threads on Abuzz about de-constructing humorous situations. So I thought that would be fun to do here.

Here's a starter:

A few years ago, my daughter brought her kitten home while she stayed with us for a few days. The kitten (named Barstow, Bar for short) escaped out the front door of our house and, having not been declawed yet, climbed a very large [tall] tree in our front yard.

Well, I won't go through all the contortions we went to to try to save that little helpless and meowing kitten up in the tree, but eventually my daughter insisted I call the fire department.

Now I didn't think that the fire department would come for such a task. I thought it was just something depicted in children's books and cartoons. However, she was so distraught, I called.

And they showed up at our front door in a jiff. While the three hugely physic-ed firemen set up their ladder and one climbed to the very top of it, the kitten climbed higher. The fireman had to really stretch to get him. One other fireman was on the ground holding the very long ladder and the other behind the top guy to receive the poor innocent kitten when he was successfully retrieved. Well, I started laughing and so did my daughter......I don't know why, but it suddenly just struck me as funny. The guy on the ground said in a very unpleasant tone of voice, "Don't laugh at my boss!" And I was amazed to find that he didn't see the humor in the situation.

So now, what do you think was funny (I'm not interested in what wasn't funny) in this situation? I'll tell what I think later. And please, feel free to add your own situations. We'll analyze away and let the Republicans continue to take over the country.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 708 • Replies: 12
No top replies

spendius

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 09:43 am
Your learning.

The funniest thing was the pompous fireman.Are all American males like that?
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 09:44 am
Incongruity.

The better you decribe the physical prowess of the firefighters (three
hugely physic-ed firemen) as contrasted to the "poor innocent little
kitten," the funnier their exertions sound.

Unless you're a firefighter...
...who cherishes his dignity.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 10:00 am
one new year's at the Monster's (ex) mother's house: all his friends arrived, one brought a fluffy white cat. Cat decided to climb up the fireplace - got stuck in a chimney.... Also called firefighters. They had to get on the roof and ended up pouring buckets of water down the chimney. A, the cat's owner, happened to have her head stuck up the fireplace at the most inopportunate moment. She got her cat back. Neither the cat, nor the owner, nor the light blue carpet were of the original color... A was not able to laugh about it at all. We had a mighty hard time to control ourselves... The cat was a disaster, black as a devil, and it wouldn't wash out for the longest time!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 10:14 am
Any time you can get two hot women, some firefighters, a cat, and Republicans into the same story, then I don't care who y'are, that there's funny.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 10:34 am
dagmaraka wrote:
one new year's at the Monster's (ex) mother's house: all his friends arrived, one brought a fluffy white cat. Cat decided to climb up the fireplace - got stuck in a chimney.... Also called firefighters. They had to get on the roof and ended up pouring buckets of water down the chimney. A, the cat's owner, happened to have her head stuck up the fireplace at the most inopportunate moment. She got her cat back. Neither the cat, nor the owner, nor the light blue carpet were of the original color... A was not able to laugh about it at all. We had a mighty hard time to control ourselves... The cat was a disaster, black as a devil, and it wouldn't wash out for the longest time!

This is a hilarious story, Dag.....I'm afraid it would have taken me a while to see the humor in it myself if my face were covered in black soot......but I do usually (eventually) see the humor in most situations, if there is humor to be found.

I agree as well with George. The fire fighter probably didn't think it was funny because it made us all look a bit ridiculous. Here we were, two females (who do not like to appear to be in need), rendered helpless and three firemen, who have more important things to do, I'm sure, groping frantically at the little cat, who for all it's innocence was in control of the situation. If only the cat could have laughed. He couldn't, and I'm sure he probably wasn't even grateful........but who knows.

I suppose humor does often have to do with a loss of dignity somehow and if the person losing the dignity is either normally deserving of honor or if that person is a person no one likes, it's even more funny.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 10:38 am
spendius wrote:
Your learning.

The funniest thing was the pompous fireman.Are all American males like that?

He wasn't exactly pompous, although I know it sounds that way. He more had his feelings hurt I think. I suppose he thought we weren't grateful. Poor man, it was quite late at night and he had probably been awakened to come to my house to rescue a cat. And yes, my daughter and I were in our robes and slippers.

I suppose that contributed to the humor as well. I wasn't at my best.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 10:39 am
cjhsa wrote:
Any time you can get two hot women, some firefighters, a cat, and Republicans into the same story, then I don't care who y'are, that there's funny.

Thank you for the compliment, cj..........doesn't it feel good to laugh?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 10:48 am
Do you know Jack?
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 10:58 am
Nothing comes up on the link......I take it it's twistedly funny. Must see.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 11:06 am
Fixed it - sorry, the previous one I posted wasn't a nice link at all. My bad.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 11:29 am
Thanks cj. That was Sorta Funny. He's married to Ain't Funny and their children are...........

What made it funny to you?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 11:51 am
It was funnier the first time I saw it. Noe Schitt Sherlock. Wink
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What makes a thing funny?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 01:21:13