Credit Card Only Stores? Whatcha think?

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 2 May, 2019 06:57 am
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

No, not everybody has a cellphone. I know a few who do not. And what happens when the battery goes lifeless?

Some people are really going to be screwed when the MTA loses the swipe cards for the swipe based system.

Quote:
The MTA's new fare payment system will roll out beginning in May 2019 with commuters able to use specific contactless credit or debit cards or mobile wallets from Apple, Google and Samsung.
engineer

Reply Thu 2 May, 2019 06:59 am
@tsarstepan,
Is the MTA going to give people the contactless card if they don't have one? I think that could work. Instead of getting a ticket, you get a reusable card. As long as you can get a new one if you lose it and you can refill it at a ticket kiosk, it would be just like a ticket.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 2 May, 2019 07:49 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Is the MTA going to give people the contactless card if they don't have one? I think that could work. Instead of getting a ticket, you get a reusable card. As long as you can get a new one if you lose it and you can refill it at a ticket kiosk, it would be just like a ticket.

One should hope so. For disabled and senior citizens that maybe currently getting the half rate fare system. I mean if they are? They're doing a pisspoor job of NOT publicizing this necessary fact and we're moving pretty close to the deadline where we move from the beta phase to moving completely over the new fare system.
jespah

Reply Thu 2 May, 2019 07:53 am
@tsarstepan,
We have reusable T cards in Mass. and they're easy to use, refill, etc. So far as I can tell, people aren't mugged for them but then again I don't hang around in places where that's likely.

The cashless experience is not such an easy one for the elderly, even folks used to using credit cards for larger purchases. They may have issues with smaller purchases, as a familiarity thing. This will be less of a problem as the Greatest Generation shuffles off this mortal coil, but understand folks in their 80s and 90s are going to be hard-pressed to learn any new systems, even systems designed to be easy and similar to what they already know.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2021 01:44 pm
mark
roger

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2021 02:37 pm
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

mark

Thanks for reviving all these old, boring threads.
Real Music

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2021 03:23 pm
@roger,
1. As far as I can tell, virtually all of the threads have been real snoozers lately,

2. In fact, I'm probably doing everyone a huge favor by bringing back some life to A2k.

3. Let's face it. A2k has been extremely boring and inactive lately.

4. I have noticed that people are not even posting on A2k anymore on any subject or any topic.

5. Because A2k has gotten so boring lately, I decided to seek out old interesting threads.

6. Yeah, you might see a post here and there.

7. But, we know damn well people lately haven't been posting on A2k.

8. Oh by the way. You are very welcome and I am glad I could help.
Ragman

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2021 04:41 pm
@Real Music,
I think this lull is due to the Northern Hemisphere dog days of summer and post-Covid reactivities.

Typically every year in July of the NA members. there’s a slowdown of forum activity.
roger

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2021 04:44 pm
@Ragman,
I'm not sure. Lots of people on forums like this have moved to facebook, reddit, and things like that.
Ragman

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2021 04:57 pm
@roger,
That might be true. Sometimes people wobble off and then wobble on back.Vacations and staycations take a toll or troll.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2021 07:46 pm
Philadelphia becomes first major US city to ban cashless stores.

Published April 12, 2019

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2021 07:50 pm
Why We Shouldn't Allow Cashless Retail Stores.

Published January 9, 2019

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2021 04:18 pm
Payment Choice Act aims to protect cash payments.

Published July 28, 2021

Quote:
U.S. Rep. Donald M. Payne, Jr. of New Jersey has introduced a bill to protect American currency as a form of payment for goods and services, according to a press release.

The bill, the Payment Choice Act, would make it illegal for retail businesses to reject cash for in-person, consumer transactions at stores across the country. The bipartisan bill has 28 co-sponsors.

"There are too many stores and businesses that want to reject American cash in favor of digital payments," Payne said in the press release. "But cash is the only option available for millions of Americans to pay for food, housing and other essentials."

The 55 million Americans who lack a bank account or credit card would be left out of the economy completely if cash is banned, according to Payne.

Payne said he also has concerns about the safety and privacy of the data that companies are collecting from consumers during routine purchases.

In addition, cash is the only way to pay for items during a natural disaster. If a hurricane or other catastrophe were to knock out a power grid anywhere in the country, Americans would not be able to pay for critical, life-saving supplies to protect them and their families, according to Payne.

https://www.retailcustomerexperience.com/news/payment-choice-act-aims-to-protect-cash-payments/#:~:text=The%20bill%2C%20the%20Payment%20Choice%20Act%2C%20would%20make,digital%20payments%2C%22%20Payne%20said%20in%20the%20press%20release.
engineer

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2021 04:32 pm
@Real Music,
I think businesses should accept cash and agree that millions of Americans would be hurt if many businesses went cashless, but I disagree with this law. Government really doesn't have a business dictating to businesses who are trying to innovate. It's like saying businesses must not use self checkout or curbside pickup or web ordering. If a business goes to cashless checkout and it results in losing business, it will self correct. If it doesn't, then it must not have been all that bad.
Real Music

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2021 05:14 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
I think businesses should except cash and agree that millions of Americans would be hurt if many businesses went cashless, but I disagree with this law.
1. I also believe that businesses should accept cash and that millions of Americans would be hurt if many businesses went cashless.
2. I actually do agree with this law proposal.

Quote:
Government really doesn't have a business dictating to businesses who are trying to innovate.
1. I don't (entirely) disagree with your sentiment.
2. But, I do believe that it is the business of the government to force businesses to accept cash.

3. If you look on the lower left side of the American dollar bill, it reads:

THIS NOTE IS LEGAL TENDER
FOR ALL DEBTS, PUBLIC AND PRIVATE

Quote:
It's like saying businesses must not use self checkout or curbside pickup or web ordering.
No, I disagree with your comparison because you are comparing apples to oranges.
Real Music

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2021 01:41 am
Protecting Payment Choice.

0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2021 06:13 am
@Real Music,
I think it is worth stepping back and looking at how the digital divide is shaping stores before throwing laws about. Brick and mortar stores already face increased costs for rent, security and money management compared to their online competitors. In the case of taking cash, it means keeping cash on hand, security for said cash, and labor to handle the cash including managing cash drawers and making bank trips. Businesses with cash on hand are also targets for crime, driving up costs more. These costs are passed on to consumers who can often decide to move to cheaper options online, making it harder for stores and putting all the cost burden on customers on the wrong side of the digital divide. When these stores go under, their customers face bigger hurdles, longer trips to find shopping, higher costs. less choice and competition. Passing a law really doesn't change much, the stores that serve the cash using public will still take cash, the stores that cater to a more electronic market will assign one poorly staffed register somewhere as the cash register and call a manager to run it when needed while their electronic payment customers move quickly through other payment lines. This law just perpetuates the digital divide without really helping anyone. What you really need is a program to help those without access to secure electronic payment methods to make the transition and you need to do it now instead of waiting until businesses are moving away from cash on their own.
engineer

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2021 06:26 am
@engineer,
What might be valuable would be a law to prevent discrimination against businesses that accept cash so that banks would have to treat all businesses on an equal footing.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2021 12:03 am
Payment system outage lasts duration of WWE SummerSlam at Allegiant Stadium.

A nationwide payment system outage also hit Allegiant Stadium on Saturday night,
where tens of thousands of fans were watching WWE SummerSlam.

Published August 22, 2021

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2021 12:09 am
Outage blamed for problems with cashless payments Saturday night at Allegiant Stadium.

Published August 22, 2021

0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 03:46:56