English Language
French Language

Tuesday, May 3rd
Calculus AB

Thursday, May 5th
German Language

Monday, May 10th
Chemistry

I don't really believe in cramming before tests, but I don't feel as prepared as I probably should... I've been working out of AP prep books for months now, but I've always been concerned with how accurately they represent the tests.

I'm worried about freezing up on the speaking portions of French and German. They're going to ask a question about a series of photos that will just make me freeze, tape recorder in hand. Wie sagt man "awkward silence" auf deutsch? En français?

I'm scared that the calculus test will be riddled with trig identities that I haven't memorized -- like the integral of one over the quantity some goofy expression close quantity is really a friggin' trig function -- I just haven't committed that stuff to memory.

I know the English test's writing style questions concerning given passages will mostly have answers that all seem to loosely fit and seem incredibly subjective.

There are some chemistry problems that seem only to make sense immediately after I've seen them worked out. Once that valuable demonstrator has gone I ask myself, "Wait, how'd he do that again?"

Oy veh. Does anyone have any words of wisdom?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 668 • Replies: 5
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 06:49 am
It's understandable to be concerned. However, assuming you have done your work all along, and have kept up with studies, you should be fine. After all, AP classes aren't taught just so that everyone will fail them. They're taught so that people get soemthing out of them. The tests are designed so that people will pass them, because otherwise they would not be good tests of anyone's ability. It's not being done to torture you, of course.

When I took AP English, my teacher had some very good advice. It was, we haven't covered the ancient Greeks. We, instead, covered Kafka, Hemingway, Hardy, etc. Chances are not great that the ancient Greeks will be on the test. But if they are, do your best and analyse what's given you as best you can. You have the tools.

So I went with that. And the ancient Greeks were not on the test, so it didn't matter. And there were essays where there were choices. I picked Kafka over whatever else was available. And I did fine.

You can, too. AP courses are long and have a lot in them. Hence the test cannot possibly cover everything you have studied and you cannot possibly have studied every single little thing on the test. Do your best, be resigned to the fact that you will not know absolutely everything, and work with the tools you have. You'll be fine.
0 Replies

Odd Socks

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 08:24 am
You've done the work. Ye'll be fine. Just try to relax. Even if you freeze up, you should be able to get a psych report from your counsellor which'll prevent any of hte damage it causes.
0 Replies

Levi

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 11:28 am
The results are in.

1, no recommendation; 2, possibly qualified; 3, qualified; 4, well qualified; 5, extremely well qualified

English - 4
French - 3
Calculus - 2 Evil or Very Mad
German - 5 Very Happy
Chemistry - 3
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 03:29 pm
well done levi
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 07:06 pm
Nice, Levi. You may do well in Calc. yet, you will probably find that having taken the AP class preps you well for college Calc. classes. Plus probably skipping Freshman Comp. (English) and your language requirement has gotta be sweet. Very Happy
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » AP mania
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 06/26/2024 at 01:00:24