solar panel setup

aum

Reply Mon 8 Apr, 2019 02:01 pm
I am a computer professional and new to electrical stuff. I am trying to setup a 12v solar panel using a charge controller and 12V lead acid battery. What kind of wires do I need to use to connect them?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 532 • Replies: 9
No top replies

engineer

Reply Mon 8 Apr, 2019 02:07 pm
@aum,
1) Figure out the current you are expecting
2) Find the wire gauge for the current you are expecting using a website like this one.
0 Replies

mystikmind

Reply Mon 8 Apr, 2019 05:27 pm
@aum,
What are you using it for?
16 gauge will likely be sufficient, 14 gauge to be absolutely safe.

You know lead acid battery is not ideal for charge/discharge situations rite? (Although the alternatives are so absurdly expensive, for that reason it is still probably the best option)

Current between the solar panel and the controller will be highly variable, so dont skimp on that.... between the controller and the battery should be a lower and more consistent current. Then between the battery and the item you want to power, depends entirely on what that item you want to power is?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 8 Apr, 2019 07:35 pm
Are you using deep cycle batteries like a marine battery? Car batteries won't work well as they are starter battery. All juice up front.
mystikmind

Reply Mon 8 Apr, 2019 07:43 pm
@McGentrix,
Also if he connected multiple batteries in series, that will divide the recharge and discharge current between them and greatly reduce the wear and tear on the individual battery.

Edit: not in series... parallel!

Wiring them in series would multiply the voltage and would be kinda explosive!
0 Replies

Hdgenius

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2019 12:35 am
@aum,
The lead acid battery is not safe to recharge, people use Li-Ion battery house like Anker and Ellon Musk's power system, they are more safe and durable.
roger

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2019 12:50 am
@Hdgenius,
How very odd. I've been using lead/acid batteries in my cars for over fifty years without a problem. They recharge every time I turn on the engine.

What on earth are you thinking of?
Ragman

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2019 02:28 am
@roger,
Perhaps it’s because you don’t charge it with spam that keeps you safe?
roger

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2019 02:55 am
@Ragman,
Maybe. I charged them, not fed them.
0 Replies

Jewels Vern

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2019 04:05 pm
If you have only one panel you probably are talking about 100 watts, and that is not a heavy current. Nevertheless, you should hire an electrician to hook it up. He will charge you a few bux, but it will be cheaper than a fire and it will be done right the first time.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » solar panel setup
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 01:51:15