Iraq, from the frying pan into the fire.

au1929

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 05:49 pm
Flash point: Kirkuk
How hard would it be to clean up after Saddam Hussein? Just look at the trouble brewing here
By Bay Fang
SHORJ, IRAQ--Rowshan Salah Said is 85, can barely walk, and has lived a life filled with war, but she is raring to fight one last battle. She sits on a dirty mat in her tiny room and counts on her gnarled fingers all the places her family was forced to move when Saddam Hussein's regime kicked them out of their village near Kirkuk in 1988. "They blew up our house and said because we were Kurdish, we had to leave," she says, her eyes blazing angrily behind thick glasses. "If the Iraqi regime is destroyed, I will run, run, run until I reach my town, and then I will avenge myself upon them!"

This is typical of the problems we will find when we take over and try to turn Iraq into a democracy. The country is rife with ethnic, religious and tribal hatreds.IMO It will be a duplicate of the breakup of Yugoslavia. We may be going from the frying pan into the fire.
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/issue/030317/usnews/17kirkuk.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,163 • Replies: 2
No top replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 06:03 pm
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 08:28 pm
Who 'scapes the lurking serpent's mortal sting?
Not he that sets his foot upon her back.
The smallest worm will turn being trodden on,
And doves will peck in safeguard of their brood.
Henry VI part 3, act 2, scene 1
0 Replies