What to do about a straight friend who is VERY affectionate, but only when he is drunk

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2019 06:00 pm

I am hoping that someone might be able to give me some advice on a situation I am in.

I work in a call center in Toronto, Canada. I am a gay male but I am not out at work but I don't try to hide it either. I think most of the people I work with know it, I just don't talk about it. About 3 weeks ago I was working a Saturday night shift and it was very slow maybe 45 minuets between calls. Myself and 2 other guys decided to watch the hockey game and have a few beers between calls ( my company is very relaxed about things like that.) There was no management on duty so it was very chill.

One of the guys I was working with, lets call him Alex is a very handsome jock plays hockey, baseball the whole bit. As far as I know he is 100% straight and has the reputation as quite the dog. I had one beer that night he had about five. Towards the end of the shift he was obviously feeling pretty good. I was sitting at my desk and he came stood beside me talking to the person across from me. He casually placed his hand on my shoulder. I didn't pull away because I enjoyed it. A few minuets later he rested his fore arm on my shoulder again I didn't move. Now I am starting to wonder what is going on. It seemed like he was testing me to see how far he could go. Then he started to massage my shoulders and back It felt incredible. His phone rang and he went back to his desk. I assumed that was the end of it. But when his call ended he came and began the massage again.
That night I left work wondering WTF? This came totally out of left field. The next day I came to work and as you can probably guess he acted like nothing happened. So I put it down to a onetime thing after all he was drunk.
The following Friday our work team had an outing we went bowling and then to bar. I was in the bowling alley wondering if he was going to show up. He did, and was already drunk when he arrived. I decided to just sit there and see if he was going to come to me. He came up to me and started rubbing his hand up and down my back so I of course reciprocated. Then a while later he came up to me. I was sitting and he was standing in front of me.He put his arms around me in such a way that as no one could see what he was doing. He is considerably taller than me. He kissed me. It was not just a peck it was longer then that.
It was now time to go over to the bar which was just down the street. For the rest of the night he would come up to me and put his arm around my waist. Not my shoulder as guys do, but around my waist. By this point I was a little drunk myself. We had karaoke and I was drunk enough to sing. I sang "Someone like you" by Adele. Of course I chose the song with him in mind. It was almost like he knew that. He came up and just held me around the waist as I sang it.
The next day we were at work together and of course he acted like nothing happened. In fact even now if I even try to engage him in a conversation about anything I feel a wall come up. Its been been over two weeks now and he hasn't mentioned it and I am too afraid to bring it up because I'm afraid if I confront him it will drive him away. I'm am sure he would try to justify it my saying "I was drunk". As the son of an alcoholic I know that "I was drunk" is the refuge of a coward. They say "the drunk man says what the sober man feels" but I yet to come up with a way to get him permanently drunk.
The problem is that I develop emotional attachments far to easily. I wake in the middle of the night thinking of him and trying to figure out what happened. I haven't had more than five hours of sleep a night since.
I am kind of angry because he started this, I never asked for his attention yet he walks away like nothing happened and I am left to clean up the mess. He is punishing me by pushing me away for something I never asked for or initiated.
I know I should just forget about it and move on because who knows when or if he will ever be drunk enough around me again so I can try to fine out what the hell it was all about. I don't think he is gay or if he is it is buried so deep I could never get to it. But I don't think he was playing head games he is not the type.
At this point I don't really care where I stand as long as I know where I stand.
I don't know if I should believe drunk Alex or the sober Alex.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 290 • Replies: 3
No top replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 22 Mar, 2019 11:35 am
Why do you not do something more relaxing like walking through an old ww2 mines field?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 22 Mar, 2019 12:01 pm
@JLCtoronto,
This is pretty clear to me. Sober Alex wins.

If he is repressing something, that is his problem that he has to deal with. You can't force something on him when he is drunk that he doesn't want to face when he is sober.

When someone uses alcohol to repress feelings, it is often a sign of a drinking problem. If you are a friend, you might offer to support him in dealing with this. You can't do this if you want to get him into bed.

If you aren't close enough as a friend to be responsible, then you should walk away. This isn't a good situation for either of you.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 22 Mar, 2019 12:14 pm
@JLCtoronto,
JLCtoronto wrote:

I yet to come up with a way to get him permanently drunk.

He's out there, I think I've met him.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What to do about a straight friend who is VERY affectionate, but only when he is drunk
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 05:27:18