Sino-Japan Relation, where to go?

J-B

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 06:02 am
Two nations, the future dominators of East Asia.

Unfortunately throughout the history, these two nations never got well with each other. Either this one baited that one, or that one harassed this one. They never cooperated well, never lived in an atmosphere of harmony.

And the most annoying is, This history course is still unlikely to be changed nowadays especially indicated by the unusual violent anti-Japanese protests thoughout China and Korea.

The future might be horrific, in my opinion. They hasn't been living together well, and they are both going to be the major powers. You can imagine?

If another large-scale was to happen, I bet it would took place in East Asia. See how many sensitive elements lying there: Taiwan, North Korea, Diaoyutai, Malacca, plus an invisible red line between China and Japan, the line which provocated a number of wars consuming houndreds of millions of lives.

What do you think of the future of Sino-Japan relation? Please share your opinions to us. Buddies from China and Japan are particularly welcomed.

JB
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,995 • Replies: 15
No top replies

J-B

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 10:30 pm
LATEST SITUATION:

I remember on Thursday, the Central Propaganda Commission (not sure with the name) held a meeting in which the top offcials asked the youngsters not to make violent protests anymore.

Friday, The spokesman of the Public Security Ministry announce the order against any "unpermitted" demonstrations.

Saturday, the CCTV state news at 7:00 am introduced an alleged letter written by a ordinary Beijing citizen titled "Violence is not patriotism"

And this weekend so far I haven't heard any reports of protests which were taken for granted in the past 2 weeks.

And Friday when I was hearing VOANewsnow I got something amazing. Junichiro Koizumi apologized for the crimes committed in Asia during WW2?! I need to comfirm this.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 12:11 pm
^JB^ wrote:
And Friday when I was hearing VOANewsnow I got something amazing. Junichiro Koizumi apologized for the crimes committed in Asia during WW2?! I need to comfirm this.

I don't know too much about this, but I can confirm that apology. The BBC reports his apology, ^JB^ here:

Quote:
In a move designed to ease tensions, Mr Koizumi made an unusual public apology for Japan's wartime aggression in a speech last weekend at a regional summit in Jakarta.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 07:43 am
And yesterday Hu and Koizumi held meeting. Did they work out any solid result?

And today one of my classmates' father has received a message on his cell phone telling him the anti-Japanese demonstration which was rumored to be held soon in Nanjing is untrue and asking him not to participate. :wink:

Now the situation is really cooling down because of the government interference.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 09:54 pm
^JB^ Do you know how anyone found out about the publication of the Japanese textbooks?

I heard that Japan had asked China to stop the demonstrations. <shaking head> Nobody wants to let the people demonstrate their feelings.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 02:01 am
? I am not sure with the question Piffka. You mean how did people find the problems with the publication?

Yes, they wanted to stop them, maybe they are too violent? especially in comparison with those in HongKong?

Chinese people lack the appropiate knowledge of how to demonstrate. And if they have any opportunity, they will certainly "erupt".

A big demonstration might take place here in Nanjing on May 1th. But I bet you it cannot succeed. Because there are plenty of evidences indicating that the government may pose a strong stance against it. Let's see.
0 Replies

DestinyX

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 03:17 am
I really don't understand how the Japanese culture is, why they are so die hard? Though the PM apologiesd a few days ago, at the same day, some tens of parliament members went to the Shrine again! i doubt how ture the apology is.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 06:06 am
The apology might be just a compromise indeed
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 06:11 am
The tension is so great, that both sides realize that it is not good for each one. Compromise is needed
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 08:22 am
^JB^ wrote:
? I am not sure with the question Piffka. You mean how did people find the problems with the publication?

Yes, they wanted to stop them, maybe they are too violent? especially in comparison with those in HongKong?

Chinese people lack the appropiate knowledge of how to demonstrate. And if they have any opportunity, they will certainly "erupt".

A big demonstration might take place here in Nanjing on May 1th. But I bet you it cannot succeed. Because there are plenty of evidences indicating that the government may pose a strong stance against it. Let's see.

I meant... I thought it was surprising that anyone in China would be reading a Japanese textbook. I have no idea what is being taught in other countries... hardly what is being taught in this one. So, I guess somebody in China happened to check the textbook, but it just seemed strange to me.

On May 1st, I will be hopeful that everyone stays calm & safe. Though sometimes it is better not to be calm and to throw off your safety if you know you've been wronged.

At the same time it is important to accept apologies and move on.

You may be interested.... in the USA we have problems nearly 150 years later (at least *I* call them problems) with southerners who continue to rally behind their "Dixie" roots and their Confederate flag. It is offensive to me. I see but do not agree with their need to cling to their perceived glory. However, they are rekindling the old argument between the north and the south. Black Americans, in particular, find the flying of the Confederate battle flag an insult (since the south advocated slavery).
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 04:57 am
I think that is because Chinese has been anxiously gazing at Japanese textbook for quite a long time Smile
But I admit that they always exaggerate things the government favor and ignore things the government dosen't favor. For instance they don't tell the compatriots that the textbook is just an option for Japanese schools, though it is issued by the government. They are also 8 other options in front of the school. And several of them relatively appropriately examine the history, including the brutal occupation, the militarism, the Nanjing massacre, and so on. And they also fail to remind people that Japan is a democracy, Japanese people possess the freedom of speech that although the right-wing has strong power, the left-wing can also stand out in the streets of Tokyo to severely criticize the revival of nationalism. Sadly, people is severely prohibited to cry for the public attention of the government's crimes committed on July. 4th 1989 in the Tian'anmen Square. Sad
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 06:10 am
OK, I am much relieved---The alleged demonstrations didn't take place. And the current anti-japanese tide has probably come to an end.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 08:37 am
Good to hear... though isn't May 5th a big day for most Communist countries?

About the textbooks... glad that there are others available for Japanese schools that do examine the history truthfully. I was thinking though, there are some people who don't want the younger generation to know all of the brutalities their ancestors were capable of and did... because it might give the students the idea that it is "in their blood" to be brutal. Sometimes there are things better left unsaid. (Children are so impressionable.)
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 10:18 pm
I truely wish that all the textbooks students LOVE, not hatred.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 04:45 pm
I think you're missing a word in that sentence, Wink but I totally agree with your sentiment. Teach love, not hatred... make peace, not war.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 06:15 am
Embarrassed teach , ok lol

No hot news updated about Sino-Japan relations these days. Hope we don't have it forever....
:wink:
0 Replies