What would Humans be classified as if we were Avian?

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2019 10:38 am
I'm creating a SyFy nation and in it is Avian race and I'm not good at science so I don't know what to classify it as. So I figured I'd ask, so in simplest form: If Humans weren't mammals, but instead Avian would we still be called Homo Sapiens?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 385 • Replies: 12
No top replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2019 10:47 am
@FiguredIWouldAsk,
This question has nothing to do with science. It has to do with language.

The word "Homo" from "Homo Sapiens" simply comes from the Latin for human. So If humans were birds... they could still be called "Homo Sapiens" because we are still calling them humans. Of course in this world... seagulls would be hominids and gorillas would not.

The word "Avian" comes from the Latin for "wing". So Homo Sapiens as birds would still be Avians too since they would presumably have wings.

It is your world, you can name things as the culture you are creating would choose to name them.
FiguredIWouldAsk

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2019 10:52 am
@maxdancona,
Thank you. I thought the Homo Sapient was a Science thing along with Latin. I truly know very little of Science. Thank you for helping and educating me.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2019 01:10 pm
@FiguredIWouldAsk,
FiguredIWouldAsk wrote:

Thank you. I thought the Homo Sapient was a Science thing along with Latin. I truly know very little of Science. Thank you for helping and educating me.
Hmmm, writing a science fiction book without knowing much about science, sounds like trying to make a ham sandwich without the ham. It might not sell very well.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2019 02:45 pm
@rosborne979,
I don't know rosborne. Science fiction is fiction, and it is probably a good way to research science.

You can buy ham without being a butcher yourself.
roger

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2019 04:12 pm
@maxdancona,
Anyhow, most science fiction these days is lots more fiction than science.
oralloy

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2019 05:18 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
The word "Homo" from "Homo Sapiens" simply comes from the Latin for human. So If humans were birds... they could still be called "Homo Sapiens" because we are still calling them humans. Of course in this world... seagulls would be hominids and gorillas would not.
On the other hand, they could be given some kind of bird genus followed by "sapiens".

For example, I think emperor penguins are Aptenodytes forsteri.

If the species is descended from emperor penguins, it could be called Aptenodytes sapiens.

If descended from some other kind of bird, substitute the proper genus for that particular bird.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2019 06:52 pm
@maxdancona,
I can only speak for myself, but to me, science fiction without the science is just fiction. And if it's bad science, then it's Fantasy (a little "dig" there at Fantasy Smile ).
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2019 12:45 pm
@rosborne979,
Science fiction with the science is still "just" fiction.

I prefer "Speculative Fiction"
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2019 12:46 pm
@roger,
Such as?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2019 12:59 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Science fiction with the science is still "just" fiction

And beating a dead horse is still just beating a dead horse. I think we've gone as far as we should go with this.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2019 01:02 pm
@rosborne979,
Well, there we go.
0 Replies

unable999

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2019 08:57 am
Interesting question, i would like to discuss this interesting argument with someone
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What would Humans be classified as if we were Avian?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 08:26:13