A2K Infested with Trolls

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 09:23 am
dunno. been here awhile and i don't feel this place has gone downhill. it's more diverse and more people find their own schtick here these days. i'd say it's only good.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 09:26 am
Re: A2K Infested with Trolls
cjhsa wrote:
Cav is dead.
BPB has left the building.
Sealpoet has written his last.
Few of the original members ever post.

What has happened to this place?

I'm doing my best to not be a Troll :wink:
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 09:55 am
Was this thread really locked?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 10:03 am
sure was...
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 09:42 am
Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is a Troll (in this context I mean)?

Or by showing my ignorance, have I just exposed myself as one?
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 09:47 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is a Troll (in this context I mean)?

Or by showing my ignorance, have I just exposed myself as one?

I understand a troll, in this context, is someone who enjoys posting rubbish/insults purely for the purpose of getting a "rise" out of other posters. I've possibly been on the edge of trolling once, and I won;t go into details, but I wish I hadn't done it.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 09:56 am
AAAHH! I see. I must admit to being tempted on a couple of occasions, especially on the "Evolution....did it/didnt it" type of thread.

I think I may have been taken the wrong way on a couple of occasions, but I dont intentionally go out to rile anyone. I have noticed a few who do, though. But not enough to turn me away from the site.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 10:00 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
AAAHH! I see. I must admit to being tempted on a couple of occasions, especially on the "Evolution....did it/didnt it" type of thread.

I think I may have been taken the wrong way on a couple of occasions, but I dont intentionally go out to rile anyone. I have noticed a few who do, though. But not enough to turn me away from the site.

That particular thread had me close to doing it as well, I must admit also. It's hard sometimes, when you can hide behind your computer and remain anonymous, but as I'm going to meet a bunch of A2Kers in London in a few weeks, I'm pleased that I've hopefully made a pretty good job of being a decent chap.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 10:04 am
trolls are also folks who post under several different accounts, or impersonate others.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 10:26 am
http://www.eps.mcgill.ca/jargon/jargon.html#troll

Quote:
troll v.,n.

1. [From the Usenet group alt.folklore.urban] To utter a posting on Usenet designed to attract predictable responses or flames; or, the post itself. Derives from the phrase "trolling for newbies" which in turn comes from mainstream "trolling", a style of fishing in which one trails bait through a likely spot hoping for a bite. The well-constructed troll is a post that induces lots of newbies and flamers to make themselves look even more clueless than they already do, while subtly conveying to the more savvy and experienced that it is in fact a deliberate troll. If you don't fall for the joke, you get to be in on it. See also YHBT. 2. An individual who chronically trolls in sense 1; regularly posts specious arguments, flames or personal attacks to a newsgroup, discussion list, or in email for no other purpose than to annoy someone or disrupt a discussion. Trolls are recognizable by the fact that the have no real interest in learning about the topic at hand - they simply want to utter flame bait. Like the ugly creatures they are named after, they exhibit no redeeming characteristics, and as such, they are recognized as a lower form of life on the net, as in, "Oh, ignore him, he's just a troll." 3. [Berkeley] Computer lab monitor. A popular campus job for CS students. Duties include helping newbies and ensuring that lab policies are followed. Probably so-called because it involves lurking in dark cavelike corners.

Some people claim that the troll (sense 1) is properly a narrower category than flame bait, that a troll is categorized by containing some assertion that is wrong but not overtly controversial. See also Troll-O-Meter.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 11:27 am
cjhsa wrote:
Cav is dead.

Generalized statements like these leave for everyone else who is
not an original member a sour taste.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 11:31 am
That is so true, C.J., but I don't think that CJ had that intent. He was just concerned with clones and trolls, not those of you who are relatively new here.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 11:41 am
I have a pet troll..
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 11:52 am
Francis, Have you still got that gargoyle on a string?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 11:53 am
really? i have petrol...
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 12:22 pm
Region Philbis wrote:
really? i have petrol...

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 01:44 pm
kickycan wrote:
..and because you're busy with those belly dancing lessons, right?

Yes! I gotta go out and buy me one of those filmy costumes and especially the thingie for around my hips so I can be a noisy devil!

http://www.threewisheslingerie.com/images/bellybeltgold1.jpg
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 08:33 pm
I've always wanted one of those belts, Heeven! But I must say, it will look much more fetching on you with all those feathers.
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 08:52 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
cjhsa wrote:
Cav is dead.

Generalized statements like these leave for everyone else who is
not an original member a sour taste.

Cal. Jane, you've said it all. It seems that you always know exactly what to say and how to say it in order for it to sound as a positively constructive remark.

BTW, I wanna be just like you when I grow up. :wink:
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 08:55 pm
You're so kind superjuly, thank you!

You are quite remarkable in your own right Wink
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/06/2024 at 04:43:05