Analysis: How far will North Korea go?

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 04:39 pm
Quote:
Analysis: How far will North Korea go?
By Martin Sieff
From the International Desk
Published 3/5/2003 4:26 PM

WASHINGTON, March 5 (UPI) -- What is Kim Jong-il up to? Why is the previously cautious leader of reclusive North Korea repeatedly provoking the United States and how far will he go?

A well-written presentation...CLICK HERE TO READ ARTICLE
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,227 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2003 10:31 am
Being on the west coast, I'm petrified that Kim will do something horrible here. He seems brazen and violent. I heard somewhere that his missiles are powerful but not well-aimed... one sent to LA, for example, could ultimately end up in South America. (That's BAD aim!)
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2003 04:59 pm
From what I've read, North Korea may be best equipped to fight a major power. What about their leadership? We keep reading about Kim; how about the chain-of-command? Are they all yes people? Are some of them thinkers or well qualified in their own right?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2003 05:03 pm
Intuitively, I doubt that dissent is encouraged, Mapleleaf. My guess is that it would not be a survival characteristic.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2003 05:13 pm
North Korea is unable to withstand even conventional war against USA, put apart the nuclear one. It merely does not have enough resources, its economy is depleted by half a century of Asian versian of Stalinism (that is more "Stalinist" than its Soviet prototype). I have no evidences supporting this assumption of mine, but it seems to me that these provocations might have been financed through secret channels by the Saddam's regime in order to withdraw American attention form Iraq.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2003 05:55 pm
From what i've read, the North Korean leaders cannot be led anywhere they don't want to go.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2003 05:57 pm
I'll bet the people of South Korea are less confident than you Steissd
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2003 05:57 pm
But they don't have any oil.
0 Replies