Internet Speed Tests

Pitter

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2019 02:21 pm
Last week I had HughesNet satellite internet service installed at my home in Colombia. Checking the speed with Ookla/speedtest.net I get a nearly identical download result of 39.4 to 39.5 Mbps every time I try it. Other testers show slower results and show much more varience and one tester, speedof.me produces results that vary from about 3.5 to 5.5Mbps. In actual practise the service is by no means blindingly fast but everything seems to download ok. So what is going on, especially with Ookla/speedtest.net?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 387 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Jewels Vern

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2019 12:18 pm
@Pitter,
If your service is not blindingly fast, it is nowhere near 40 MBPS. the slower estimates are probably more accurate.

I worked for years with 1 MB service and I never had any complaint. Like I could watch a video and download another video at the same time with no interruption. Now I have something over 50 MB and it is noticeably faster, but not anything I care about because it was plenty fast enough even at 1 MB.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2019 05:32 pm
Thank you for that. That's just what I thought . I wonder if there are shenanigans going on between HughsNet and Ookla/speeddnet.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Internet Speed Tests
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 07:01:07