What About Rainsoft Water Treatment Systems?

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2018 01:45 am
I have Rainsoft trying to sell me a whole house water treatment system. We are on a private water system and I know the water is hard. Probably between 10-15 when tested. The private system is chlorinated by law, which affects the water taste. I have an existing Culligan undercounter localized RO water filtration system that works fine..... but it is 15 years old. We also have a sediment filter on all water before it enters the house. We have 3 person household. Use quite a bit of water for irrigation. I've lived in this house for 25 years without a water treatment system other than the under counter system. There is some calcium build up, but I am not aware of appliances being affected. Mostly you see it on plumbing fixtures -- bathroom and kitchen. What is a good plan for water treatment in my situation? There seems to be a lot to know about this subject. And who to trust?

Rainsoft wants to install:
Water treatment equipment - TCM75-CV
Water refining equipment - QRS-844
Drinking water equipment - UFII

They are offering 12,000 credits on a soap purchasing package and 100lb bag of salt on the deal. And there is no installation charge.

Price: $6450.

I don't mind paying for a good quality and easy to maintain system, but I have no idea what I really need, or how much it should cost. Rainsoft makes everything simple and easy, but I don't like the sales tactics. Rainsoft has solid representation in the area where I live and it should be easy to get service for the future.

Any insights or advice would be appreciated. I know we can all benefit from the experience of others. Thanks in advance to those who offer their advice.

Happy New Year!

Jon Quixote

-----------------------------------
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 4,890 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Jewels Vern

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2018 03:39 am
@Jon Quixote,
Have I got a deal for you! I spent 2 1/2 years trying to get straight information about water filtration and there just isn't any company going to be honest with you. Every one of them sells exactly what you need: it's going to make better tasting coffee, prettier housewives, won't rust, bust, or collect dust. But they won't tell you what's in it. It reaches a point where they won't even tell you if the filter they offer will fit into the canister they offer.

The system they offer you is a water softener. I know because I saw the word "salt". Salt causes heart attacks, so if you buy a water softener, don't drink the water. It's only good for laundry and showers. Oh, and there is no particular reason to pay six grand.

A whole house filter comes in four standard sizes. You may as well get the biggest, 4.5" diameter x 20" long. The only brand I found that will tell you what you are buying is Big Blue. They give full specs, pressure drop, particle size, and so on. The particle size in that filter is either 1 or 5 micron. 5 is adequate for almost all purposes. You would want 1 micron if you have a lot of bacteria in the water. You might want a carbon filter to remove chlorine and other gases.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MG52PQT
https://www.amazon.com/4-PACK-Sediment-Filter-Cartridge-Aquaboon/dp/B01LZD6QBL/ref=pd_bxgy_60_img_2

Hard water mostly affects laundry, and only if you wash with hot water. So don't wash with hot water. Add bluing to the wash water and use less than a normal amount of soap. Add vinegar to the toilet to prevent a ring. Use vinegar for the rinse in your washer.

Hard water usually means magnesium, which is a necessary nutrient, good for heart health. My Big Blue whole house filter stopped most of it, to the point that I can wash the car without leaving white spots all over. If you actually eliminate it from your water, you will need to take pills every day. GE makes an R.O under-sink unit for about 130 bux, eleven gallons per day, and that works just fine for me.
roger

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2018 05:19 am
@Jewels Vern,
Thanks. If I had been thinking of water treatment, you would have just changed my mind. Still, a great marketing scheme.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What About Rainsoft Water Treatment Systems?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/26/2024 at 10:19:35