The word "mantle."

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2018 06:29 pm
I was struck by Donanld Trump's use of the word "mantle" as in, "I'll take the mantle for shutting down the government." That's because Mr. Trump's vocabulary has been rated as not much more than six-grade level. This is not a very common word even for adults and that shocked me coming from Trump. It was uttered spontaneously and I'm wondering where the hell did he learn to use it that way. My only encounter with this word was when my mom referred to the ledge above our fireplace as the "mantle" or "mantle piece." Several dictionary entries most frequently describe it basically as "a cloak." I did an image search and, sure enough, there were cloaks, robes worn by kings and, yes, fire places with an outer extrusion (top and sides) -- which could match the metaphor of a cloak. There was also the earth's mantle which is the bulk of the earth's weight and surrounds the earth's core. Mr. Trump used the word in the sense of "owning" something, or wearing a garb that uniquely identifies him alone or as someone who solely bears the weight (or the responsibility of) something. I have to wonder if there are other notable instances of the word "mantle" being used this way.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 482 • Replies: 8
No top replies

roger

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2018 07:34 pm
@icon-kid,
The usage isn't rare. It's kind of like saying who you are is determined by the mantle you are wearing (like a cloak).
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2018 08:29 pm
@icon-kid,
common usage

most little kids who read fantasy know it

also really common if you've got German/French background (mantle =coat/manteaux=coat)

nothing fancy happening
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2018 09:55 pm
@icon-kid,
Quote:
I have to wonder if there are other notable instances of the word "mantle" being used this way.

Only in dictionaries and such.

OED - An important role or responsibility that passes from one person to another.

Cambridge ED - the responsibilities of an important position or job, especially as given from the person who had the job to the person who replaces them.

Collins ED - If you take on the mantle of something such as a profession or an important job, you take on the responsibilities and duties which must be fulfilled by anyone who has this profession or job.

“It is a curious thing, Harry, but perhaps those who are best suited to power are those who have never sought it. Those who, like you, have leadership thrust upon them, and take up the mantle because they must, and find to their own surprise that they wear it well.”
0 Replies

bunnyhabit

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2018 10:00 pm
is uncommon in trumps usage as important role or responsibility that passes from one person to another. more common meaning is
a loose sleeveless cloak or shawl, worn especially by women.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2018 10:44 pm
Most Americans know it meant “responsibility.”
Setanta

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2018 07:19 am
@PUNKEY,
That is absolutely not true. You should never respond to ESL/EFL threads.
PUNKEY

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2018 04:21 pm
@Setanta,
OK - then what DOES it mean?

BTW:
The OP added “for” to Trump’s words.

The news quoted it as “ take the mantle of shutting down ...”

The first quote denotes ‘responsibility.’
The second quote,, ‘accepting the duty.’

0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2018 09:32 am
@icon-kid,
He was talking about the baseball playing card value of his Mickey Mickey Mantle rookie card. Trump drifts a bit in his thinking, often times.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » The word "mantle."
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 06/16/2024 at 09:36:47