how to end a friendship when you don't want to

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2018 12:16 am
I feel like my friend has outgrown me. how do I end the friendship so they can move on
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 434 • Replies: 8
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2018 04:05 am
Why, aren’t you good enough?
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2018 08:04 am
@Icouldusesomehelp,
Icouldusesomehelp wrote:

I feel like my friend has outgrown me. how do I end the friendship so they can move on

That's tough. Are you sure you're not beating yourself in the self-esteem department? First and foremost, talk to this friend. Let him/her know what you're thinking. If you still think this, your friend will understand and you can both go your separate ways. Who knows? You just might find out that your doubts about the friendship are onesided and your friend might be able to find a way to make you feel better about your difficult feelings towards this companionship.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2018 08:28 am
@Icouldusesomehelp,
If your friend has "outgrown" you, wouldn't that be their decision?

If you want the friendship you should keep it. If the friendship makes you happy you should keep it. If the friendship makes your life better you should keep it.

Let your friend decide for themselves whether your friendship makes them happy.
Icouldusesomehelp

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2018 02:38 pm
@maxdancona,
I really want to keep the friendship, but I know they would do better if I wasn't in their life anymore. I'm holding them back but they are too nice to say anything to afraid of hurting people
0 Replies

Icouldusesomehelp

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2018 02:40 pm
@PUNKEY,
its more that they have a different path to take than me and holding on to them will just stop them from getting to the best they can be.
Icouldusesomehelp

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2018 02:44 pm
@tsarstepan,
I'll try, but I think I'm more afraid to hear them say it then to just to do it myself.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2018 02:58 pm
@Icouldusesomehelp,
People taking different paths can still be friends.

Let the friendship evolve naturally.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2018 07:16 am
“Me holding on to them will stop them from being the best they can be”

How do you know that?

Is this your low self esteem talking, or a huge ego that thinks others revolve around them, or a rescue martyr?

Try to involve the other person in this discussion.

You can always say, “ look, we are on different paths, let’s separate (as lovers? Business partners? Co- owners? Parents? You don’t say) and see what happens.”

Best case scenario is that it’s a mutual agreement.

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » how to end a friendship when you don't want to
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 03:02:43