language

hkhlcq

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2018 01:34 am
Why "relax emotionally" is not often heard but "emotional relaxation" appears a little"? ( In iWeb of Corpus, the former appears 3 times, but the latter, 37.)
Thanks@repliers.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 361 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Ponderer

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2018 04:56 am
@hkhlcq,
When I wrote that it is not often heard, I just meant that I personally don't remember hearing the phrase. It seems like I have only heard and read phrases about relaxing the mind, calming the mind, etc. because the mind is the source of emotions. Think of the mind as an ocean and the waves as emotion. The waves on the shore are relative to the storm over the ocean. When the storm stops, the waves calm.
As far as one phrase you mentioned being written more than the other, my guess is that it is because "emotional relaxation" would be the subject of a sentence.
PUNKEY

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2018 06:49 am
relax emotionlly is a verb/adverb

emotional relaxation is adjective/ noun

Look at the entire sentence to determine best structure to use.

0 Replies

hkhlcq

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2018 08:04 am
@Ponderer,
Thanks so much! I realize that in this context of relaxing, we Chinese are prone to express in "relax+adv. ” , totally different from the English way of "relax+noun".
Ponderer

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2018 11:24 am
@hkhlcq,
You're welcome. I understand.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » language
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 05:10:41