Entomology A-Level Question

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2018 03:41 pm
So I would really like to be an entomologist in the future and I am currently studying for my GCSEs. I live in the UK and there are no entomology degrees, there are however entomology masters. My current plan is to do geography, computer science and psychology for A-Level, a geography degree then an entomology masters. Then some day I hope to get a PhD.
Unfortunately my mum is worried that if I don't do a biology A-Level then it will hold me back in the future as its kinda a basis for entomology. I do not enjoy biology and doing something you dont like for A-Level is a bit of a problem. I'm not doing well in biology because my teacher is terrible. Does anyone have any advice for me? Do I really need a biology A-Level or will I be fine without?
By the way the Uni I want to go to is Harper Adams, the entry requirements for both the degree and masters does not include biology, the masters entry requirement is just a 2:2 in any UK degree.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 905 • Replies: 4
No top replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2018 03:37 am
@Stickinsect123,
There should be someone at your school/college who can advise you on this. This is a primarily American site and the contributors are not that familiar with our system.

You say your problem in biology is because of your teacher. Do they teach A level? Does your school have a 6th form or will you be going to 6th form college? Even if your school has a 6th form you don't have to go there.

My gut instinct would to say take biology, but talk to a careers advisor. Write to Harper Adams, their requirement may just be a 2.2 in any degree, but it might not be preferable, and you won't be the only applicant.
Stickinsect123

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2018 04:13 pm
@izzythepush,
Thanks for your reply. I have gone to the careers adviser at my school and he does not have any advice for me. This teacher does not teach A-Level but its the being able to pass my biology GCSE that is bothering me. I am going to a really good biology teacher in my school for help as he knows my current situation. My school has a sixth form in which I would like to go. I think i'm going to the uni open day on sunday to ask about if i will need a biology A-Level so hopefully I'll get some answers then. I'll probably end up taking biology as a 4th and see if I like it, if I don't need it ill drop it
Thanks
izzythepush

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2018 04:50 pm
@Stickinsect123,
Good luck.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2018 05:07 pm
@Stickinsect123,
Make sure you ask lots of questions at open day. Don't be afraid of making a nuisance of yourself.

Teachers can make all the difference. I had a really bad Physics teacher until I got to Yr 10, then I got a new teacher who was really good and my performance shot right up.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Entomology A-Level Question
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 04:08:07