How to use "This, that, these, those" to refer back?

kimconu

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2018 11:27 am
1 When we talk about one person, one thing, one event and then we refer back them, we will use "he, she, they, it", not "this, that, the".
Ex:
- I met my friend last night
- Were they a doctor. (not that person / this person / the person)

2 When we talk about more than one thing, person, event ... and then we refer back them, we will not use "he, she, they, it", we can use “the".
Ex:
- I bought a cat and a dog yesterday. I will give John the cat and I will breed the dog.

3 When we talk about more than one thing, person, event ... and then we refer back them, we will not use "he, she, they, it", so can I use "that, this, these, those” as “the” ?
Ex:
- I bought a cat and a dog yesterday. I will give John that cat and I will breed that dog.
- Last night, when I were talking with a girl, suddenly a man approached and hit me. Then that girl ran away and that man chased after.
- (On the phone) I am choosing beetwin buy a cat or a dog, this cat is pretty and this dog is a little fierce.

4 Or I only can use “This / that / these / those” to refer back all details of an event or whole paragraph.
Ex:
- Last week, there was a bat flew into my house and I broke my mirror.
- OMG! Those were bad omens. (refer back whole the above paragraph)

- Three years ago, I met an accident last night. The driver dozed off at the while, he bumped the guard line. That accident (refer back all details of the accident ) changed his lives.

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 395 • Replies: 0
No top replies

1. Forums
  2. » How to use "This, that, these, those" to refer back?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 11:43:46